1751952 Members
5077 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HP-UX 11i v1 - NIS+ printers.org_dir?

mvpel
Trusted Contributor

HP-UX 11i v1 - NIS+ printers.org_dir?

I'm beginning the investigation of an overhaul of our printing environment here, and I'm having a bit of trouble getting a foothold in our HP systems, so I'm hoping someone can offer some guidance.

I can't find any documentation so far that indicates whether HP-UX accepts the "printers" entry in the nsswitch.conf file like our Sun systems do, or if it queries printers.org_dir - a "tusc" of the lpstat command shows it inquiring with nsswitch.conf, so it seems like it may, but if anyone can point me to something definitive about setting up printers in an NIS+ database, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!
6 REPLIES 6
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: HP-UX 11i v1 - NIS+ printers.org_dir?

Not sure if this is the same as yours but my NIS has a printers map that just has a list of remote printers.
There is a script that will add these printers to each system in the lab, through lpadmin(1m).
mvpel
Trusted Contributor

So you're just using the NIS map as a reference to build the local machine's printing database, is that correct?
mvpel
Trusted Contributor

No wonder I'm confused. The Solaris FAQ documentation about the printers.org_dir table is flat out FALSE.

I got my first clue when I traced an lpstat command through Ethereal to our HP NIS+ server, and saw it asking for a column named "key" rather than "printer_name" as found in the FAQ.

Then I sifted through OpenSolaris source code for the lpset command, which is capable of creating the NIS+ printers.org_dir table if it doesn't exist, and found that the only two columns in the printers.org_dir table are called "key" and "datum."

The "key" appears to be the name of the printer, and the "datum" column is the full colon-delimited line from printers.conf.

Still not quite clear yet whether HP-UX can use printers.org_dir, but at least I'm making some headway.
OldSchool
Honored Contributor

"No wonder I'm confused. The Solaris FAQ documentation about the printers.org_dir table is flat out FALSE."

Well...it might apply correctly to Solaris, but I wouldn't know.
mvpel
Trusted Contributor

Nope, according to the source code and the behavior of my Sun machines here, it definitely does not apply correctly even to Solaris.

I'll be curious to find out why HP-UX lpstat is checking the nsswitch.conf file, according to tusc, when that's not documented in nsswitch.conf(4).
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>So you're just using the NIS map as a reference to build the local machine's printing database, is that correct?

Exactly. It just does "ypcat -k printers" and there is a printer name (key) and data.