1752610 Members
4170 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP-UX Itanium Aries and Oracle

cheesytime
Regular Advisor

HP-UX Itanium Aries and Oracle

Does anybody know wether a fresh install of Oracle 7.1.6 (7.1.6.2) would run on HP-UX 11 on an Itanium rx3600 box?

if so, is there any kernel tuning that needs to be done in order to get oracle going?

Thanks in advance for any help on this matter
5 REPLIES 5
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>HP-UX 11

This isn't specific enough.
Another question would Oracle support it?
cheesytime
Regular Advisor

As for being specific, HP-UX B.11.23
Hein van den Heuvel
Honored Contributor

I'm more concerned about that Oracle version. 7.1.6 That's sooooo old!?
Not even 7.3.4, the terminal V7 release which at least was certified on hpuix 11i.

I'm sure you know that, and don't like that, and have some (however awful) reason, to consider this terrible combination.
Still, please re-consider. You don't want to miss out on 15+ years of progress.

And please humor us and give a little indication why you want your management is ok with one foot in the last century and the other in the here and now.

Maybe you can keep old client software running against a current DB ona current platform. Has that at least been tried for yucks?!

The last certification for 7.1.6 was with 10.30 according to a a nolonger maintained Metalink article 29732.1 from 2002.

CHeck out Metalink (it does not seem to work well rigth now), notably the page "Oracle Server Availability and Certification MATRIX"

good luck... you'll need some.

Hein.
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>Hein: The last certification for 7.1.6 was with 10.30

In that case, you wouldn't be able to "fresh install" this 10.20 application.

Wll Oracle don't offer support for this version regardless of whether you run it on is "certified", so the "support" andgle is kind of a non-issue in this case

SO that just leaves the question "will it work?" - I'm aware that some people have managed to get Oracle 7.x too run in Aries in a lab environment, so it could *probably* be made to work, but what worries me is your use of the term "fresh install". I'm not sure ypu'd be able to persuade the installer to install and relink Oracle on an Integrity system. What I expect you could do is install on an old PA-RISC system and then copy the Oracle directory structure over to the new host.

I doubt it would be straightforward, but it might well be possible. This is one of those "suck it and see" situations...

HTH

Duncan

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo