108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP UX JetAdmin

SOLVED
Go to solution
Matthew Horist
Occasional Contributor

HP UX JetAdmin

Im trying to add a Cannon printer using Jetadmin. It added ok but wouldnt print. So I thought maybe I need to add the queue name("!print")
Jetadmin does like the "bang" which leaves me stumped. Has anyone figured this one out?

mdh
need a break? listen to some opera... it's a source...
5 REPLIES 5
Rick Garland
Honored Contributor

Several possibilities exist here. The one in my mind that sticks out is the driver being used. I am guessing that the dumbplot driver would be a good start.
Denver Osborn
Honored Contributor

Is the printer connected to a Jetdirect interface?
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

Let's start with the platform. I'll assume you're using HP-UX and that the printer is connected to an HP JetDirect external box. If not, JetAdmin will never work. You must use lpadmin or SAM to add a remote printer. Note that -o options will be useless with a remote printer unless the remote printer is really another HP-UX computer with the printer attached directly.

JetAdmin assumes that the printer is an HP printer so you have to override the HP choices and use the dumb model script (HP-UX doesn't have any drivers). You can then modify the script to add some printer-specific code. You can test the external box by pressing the selftest button for about 1-2 seconds.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Larry Basford
Regular Advisor
Solution

They probably are using the internal Cannon network interface. I havn't been able to get it to work either. It shows up on WebJetadmin but is not configurable.
HP uses port 9100 for a JetDirect I don't know what Cannon uses.
Cannon has it's own configuration program that runs on a Web server but I don't know how it interfaces with HPUX lp spooler
Desaster recovery? Right !
Matthew Horist
Occasional Contributor

first of all. oops. I meant to say. HP does not like the queue name. I think I stated HP does like the queue name.
this printer is connecting to the network via an internal NIC. Not sure of the brand as I never get the luxury of seeing the actual physical device. I only get to see these lovely printers through a TeraTerm box :(
It does not have a JetDirect box connected. It is connected right to the network from its NIC. still stumped.
I did checkout the dumbplot idea, but it didnt work.
need a break? listen to some opera... it's a source...