Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HP-UX and Reflection X problem, window redirected to somebody else's screen

PitErr
Occasional Visitor

HP-UX and Reflection X problem, window redirected to somebody else's screen

Hi,

We had an application running on HPUX PARISC. To start the application graphical console, users used to connect to the server from Reflection X. They opened xterm via OPENSSH and then the console. Several users used one system account to connect, they worked in parallel without any problem.

One day the server crashed and was replaced by a new, Itanium based machine. The disk volume with the application was remounted to the new server and the application was started. The manufacturer of the software confirmed that the application can run on Itanium without any reinstallation.

On the new machine users sometimes experience a strange behaviour. When one user is logged into machine, and a second one starts the application console, quite often the window openes on the desktop of the first one. There are about 12 users working in parallel, and often they see their windows on somebody's else screen.

I don't know the software versions on the PARISC machine because the server crashed. Currently we are working on the following software:
- HP-UX B.11.23 U ia64
- OpenSSH_4.3p2-hpn, OpenSSL 0.9.7i 14 Oct 2005
- HP-UX Secure Shell-A.04.30.007, HP-UX Secure Shell version
- WRQ Reflection X Version 12.0.0

Reflection X connection configuration:
Method: OPENSSH
Command: (/usr/bin/X11/xterm -fn 6x13 -sb -ls -display %IP#% -name %T% &)

Does anybady have an idea how to debug or resolve the issue?

Kind Regards,
Pit
4 REPLIES
Shoghi Martinez G.
Honored Contributor

Re: HP-UX and Reflection X problem, window redirected to somebody else's screen

I will search in the DISPLAY environment variable in users profiles, When it happens again check it.
If it is set with onother one IP the windows is displayed at that IP.
PitErr
Occasional Visitor

I forgot to mention that all users work on one Windows machine using mstsc (terminal services). That means that Reflection X is run on one machine, and whole communication from the HP server is to the one Windows server. As a result all X11 traffic is redirected to the same IP, but to different displays.

X11 Forwarding via SSH is in use. Because of that all sessions have the DISPLAY variable set to the IP address of the HP server. Each user session use other display number (high values starting from 10,11...)

Regards,
Pit
PitErr
Occasional Visitor

Hi again,

I think I isolated the problem. We use X11 forwarding via SSH. According to documentation:

"The ssh server (sshd) at the remote end automatically sets DISPLAY to point to its end of the X forwarding tunnel."

The problem is that sometimes (even quite often) ssh sets the DISPLAY value equal to the value already used by another session. The problem is system wide, not only user wide. A session get the DISPLAY value of any other session (regardless of the user the session is logged as)

It looks like the sshd daemon is not aware of DISPLAY variables which it has already set for other sessions.

Any ideas how to solve the issue?

Regards,
Pit
OldSchool
Honored Contributor

to tell you the truth, I've never seen such a configuration. I'd bet the underlying problem is the fact your using mstc to get somewhere followed by the ssh.....but thats just a guess.

any reason why the users don't have reflection on there desktop and then the ssh to whatever?