Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HP-UX fbackup append need to be done

Vinod Kumar Yadav
Trusted Contributor

HP-UX fbackup append need to be done

Hi,

I have one HP-UX 11.23,One mount point is there i need to take fbackup on daily basis with append feature.

I want to take the backup of this below mount ponit with fbackup

/cdrbase/EXPORT_OTHER

Regards
Vinod
Jai Shiv Shankar
4 REPLIES
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: HP-UX fbackup append need to be done

Hi Vinod:

You can't do this. By design, 'fbackup' does not allow appending to an existing archive. An 'fbackup' session will overwrite a tape every time.

Tape is cheap compared to tracking multiple archives that you could append (as for example, with 'tar' archives).

Regards!

...JRF...
Vinod Kumar Yadav
Trusted Contributor

Hi,

I want to implete the incremental with fbackup in the /cdrbase/EXPORT_OTHER
mount every day no need to take complete the full backup for this mount pint.

Regards
Vinod

Jai Shiv Shankar
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

You can take a daily incremental backup of this mountpoint, however you CAN NOT append each days backup to the same tape.

When fbackup runs it ALWAYS rewinds the tape first. There is no fbackup "append".
Sunny123_1
Esteemed Contributor

Hi

You can take incremental backup not "append"

fbackup -9i /cdrbase/EXPORT_OTHER -f

-0-9 = This single-digit number is the backup level. Level 0 indicates a full backup. Higher levels are generally used to perform incremental backups.When doing a incremental backup of a particular graph at a particular level, the database of past backups is searched to find the date of the most recent backup of the same graph that was done at a lower level. If no such entry is found, the beginning of time is assumed.All files in the graph that have been modified since this date are backed up

Regards
Sunny