6219 Online
108797 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP UX printer setting and Folder permission setting

sprakash1980
Occasional Advisor

HP UX printer setting and Folder permission setting

HI,need help on below :
1. Add printer at HP UNIX server (about the printer driver support matrix which existing printer support HP UX)

2. How to create folder in UNIX server and set the permission for only certain user can access to the folder.

13 REPLIES 13
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

1. Need a lot more information:

...HP-UX version
...connection method from HP-UX to the printer
...printer manufacturer and model number

2. Folders are found on Windows computers. HP-UX uses the terminology: directories. You create a directory with mkdir. However, you'll need to clarify "access" to the folder. Do you want to restrict other users from seeing the names of the files in the folder, or see the file names but not read the files, or see and read the files but not write (make changes) to the files?

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
sprakash1980
Occasional Advisor

HI,
The printer should be connected thru network and at the moment i do not have the model which going to be connected.Can i know the supported printer in HP UX.

I want to create a folder and set permission on certain user can access into the folder.Others can see but cannot access the folder.
Shibin_2
Honored Contributor

You will get most HP printer's model script from here.

http://www.hp.com/pond/modelscripts/index2.html

Most printers are currently supporting port 9100, which is generally Jetdirect card port. Those printers which supports 9100 ports, can be created as network printer.
Regards
Shibin
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>I want to create a directory and set permission on certain user can access into the directory.

The simplest way is to create the directory and change the ownership to that user:
mkdir -m u=rwx directory-name
chown user-name:group-name directory-name
NDO
Super Advisor

Hi

I├В┬┤ve got a similar query: I want to give a non-root user full rights to an existing directory, i.e. being able to read, write,and execute files within that directory, even if he does not own the files! Can that be possible?

F.R.
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>Nandinho: I want to give a non-root user full rights to an existing directory, i.e. being able to read, write and execute files within that directory, even if he does not own the files!

This user must be given the permissions on the files, either through g, o or through ACLs.
NDO
Super Advisor

Dennis!

I did put this user as a member of a group that owns the file. But he cannot execute the files, only allows him to change, read and write.
I have never used ACLs, please can you explain?

F.R.
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>I did put this user as a member of a group that owns the file. But he cannot execute the files, only allows him to change, read and write.

Then you need to do: chmod g+x file

>I have never used ACLs, please can you explain?

It allows you to have more than just User, Group and Other security. See setacl(1).
NDO
Super Advisor

Hi

But there are thousands of files in there!!

Do I have to do that one by one?

F.R.