Operating System - HP-UX
1752806 Members
6162 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP UX priting commands happy, not me!

Sam21
Occasional Advisor

HP UX priting commands happy, not me!

Hello,

Trying to print on a HP LaserJet 4250 from a HP UX B11.11 system, the setup and printing commands are all successful, but nothing is printed :

lpshut
lpadmin -pHPLJetTEST -v/dev/null -ormHPLJet0201 -orpHPLJet0201 -mlaserjet4Si
accept HPLJetTEST
destination "HPLJetTEST" now accepting requests
enable HPLJetTEST
printer "HPLJetTEST" now enabled
lpsched
scheduler is running
lpstat -vHPLJetTEST
device for HPLJetTEST: /dev/null
remote to: HPLJetTEST on HPLJet0201

lp -d HPLJetTEST /tmp/TEST3-0201.txt
request id is HPLJetTEST-6380 (1 file)
dune:/var/spool/lp/request/HPLJetTEST (root) ls -lrt
total 0
-rw-r--r-- 1 lp lp 0 Mar 17 19:21 .remotesending

(added HPLJet0201 to /etc/hosts and an LPD queue named HPLJet0201 on the printer).

Is there a means on investigating what happens to the printed document? All commands exit with code 0, no error messaged, but page counter on the printers HTTP interface doesn't increment!
Setup on a Windows PC (LPR port) worked fine. Test page printed OK and counter incremented.

Any help appreciated, lp is not my forte!
12 REPLIES 12
Johnson Punniyalingam
Honored Contributor

Check below thread, if its help full

Especially, Comments from >>Bill

http://forums13.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?admit=109447627+1268917263393+28353475&threadId=1218417
Problems are common to all, but attitude makes the difference
Sam21
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for the pointer, but there Bill explains how to setup a parallel port printer, not a network one. And the problem is clearly identified (LP destionation "" does not exist on hostname).

In my case (remote printer), everything looks OK, but nothing is printed. I don't know how to "dig" deeper, so if anyone knows about some troubleshooting tools or a hidden log file somewhere, I'd be grateful.
Johnson Punniyalingam
Honored Contributor

Sam21
Occasional Advisor

Thanks again, pointer man, but I found nothing of help, again. My printer is networked, it is not plugged to some Windows PC!
OldSchool
Honored Contributor

Some, perhaps dumb, questions:

1) Whey renote, why not network?
2) Why the laserjet4si modelaccript? why not download the correct one from
http://www.hp.com/pond/modelscripts/index2.html
Sam21
Occasional Advisor

OldSchool,

1) My printer is networked, I don't understand your question
2) Because other printers of the same model are already configured on the same server.
Downloaded net_lj4250. Says :
These model script files cannot be installed completely without the software package of HP JetDirect Printer Installer for UNIX being installed first..

Can you tell if one of the available models (/usr/lib/lp/model) can be used :
ESCP PCL3 deskjet dumbplot hp2276a hp2631g hp7440a hpc1200at paintjet
HPGL1 PCL4 deskjet1200C fonts/ hp2300-1100L hp2684a hp7475a hpc1205at paintjetXL300
HPGL2 PCL4.nloo deskjet1600CM ftprmodel.LPS hp2300-840L hp2686a hp7550a hpc1208a postscript
HPGL2.cent PCL5 deskjet500 ftprmodels/ hp2560 hp2932a hp7570a laserjet quietjet
LIPS3 PCL5.asian deskjet500C genicom hp2563a hp2934a hp7595a laserjet4 rmodel
LIPS4 PCL5.nloo deskjet550C hp2225a hp2564b hp33440a hp7596a laserjet4Si rmodel.asx
LPS PS.nlio deskjet850C hp2225d hp2565a hp33447a hpC1208a laserjet4v ruggedwriter
NPDLII PS2.nlio deskjet855C hp2227a hp2566b hp3630a hpc1200ac laserjet5Si thinkjet
PCL1 colorlaserjet draftpro hp2228a hp2567b hp5000c30 hpc1200aj laserjetIIISi topcall
PCL2 colorpro dumb hp2235a hp256x.cent hp5000f100 hpc1200ak monarch zebra
?

Thx.
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

> 1) My printer is networked, I don't understand your question

In HP-UX, there is mass confusion over "network" versus "remote" printers. A network printer (a term used in SAM) means that an HP JetDirect interface card is in the printer or is part of an HP external box. There are MANY printers and print servers that look like they are connected to the network but they are not network printers, they are remote printers. An HP printer uses port 9100 (not port 515 for remote printing) and while a much more robust protocol, it is an HP protocol, not Lantronics or Lexmark, etc.

You have an LJ 4250 with an HP JetDirect card installed so you do not configure the printer using lpadmin remote printer commands. You use the hppi script or (easier) the 1-liner:

addqueue -q hpljettest -h 12.34.56.78 -b off -t off -e off

If addqueue is not found, make sure you have the hppi software installed. Get hppi software from:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&objectID=bpj07377

2) Because other printers of the same model are already configured on the same server.
Downloaded net_lj4250. Says :
These model script files cannot be installed completely without the software package of HP JetDirect Printer Installer for UNIX being installed first..

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Sam21
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for the explanation Bill.
Actually, a colleague successfully configured the printer using SAM!

So, problem solved. But for my (our) understanding, what's your guess of what SAM just did?
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

> Actually, a colleague successfully configured the printer using SAM!

Very interesting.

> So, problem solved. But for my (our) understanding, what's your guess of what SAM just did?

SAM keeps a log of everything. Run SAM and look at the log or run the samlog viewer (/usr/sam/bin/samlog_viewer). Look for the lpadmin command close to the end of the samlog.

If you do not have the hppi utilities installed, then this will return nothing:

ll /opt/hpnpl

You'll need to install this package to properly install and support HP printers using JetDirect network cards. The remote printer feature has virtually no options and no trace and debug features at all.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin