5936 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

HP-UX services defenition

SOLVED
Go to solution

HP-UX services defenition

Hi all

can anyone explane or give a link about what the following proccesses are on the HP-UX B.11.31 :

Usbhubd
Usbmsd
escsid
ttisr
ksyncer_daemon
Ioconfigd
kai_daemon
kmemdaemon
signald
Kevm
Krpckd

In the scope of PCI comliance there is a need to list all runned services and justify that you need them.

1 REPLY 1
Solution

Re: HP-UX services defenition

I think a lot of these are kernel daemons - you can see that by the fact that their PPID is 0, whereas most user space daemons have a PPID of 1.

usbhubd - kernel daemon that is started by the hub driver during system initialization. This daemon scans hubs so the devices connected to them can be enumerated.
usbmsd - unknown, but presumably also a kernel daemon for USB subsystem
escsid - unknown, but I think a kernel daemon responsible for managing changes in the mass storage stack (e.g. new LUN on SAN etc...)
ttisr - kernel daemon - handles nfs/asyncio (asyncronous io), polls mux cards, and handles ioctl calls for pty's and tty's
ksyncer_daemon - kernel daemon - writes to disk data written into the file cache every 30 seconds (as promoted by the user space syncer daemon calling sync() )
ioconfigd - ioconfigd is a general purpose kernel daemon which will simply spawn a kernel thread and call a user specified function. The value of the ioconfigd is that requests to ioconfigd can be sent on interrupt, and the ioconfigd will run the function in the new thread with "process" context." It should always be running.  There is no command to restart it.  It should restart on reboot.
kai_daemon - unknown
kmemdaemon - unknown, but I think is responsible for memory management/garbage collection in kernel memory? (like vhand does for user space?)
signald - unknown - kernel signal handling?
kevm - kernel event manager daemon
krpckd - unknown, I believe part of the (Remote Procedure Call) RPC subsystem on the kernel side

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo