5372 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP-UX spl command for print

Yarok
Regular Advisor

HP-UX spl command for print

We have several HP machines.

spl command is a printing command for on small fonts and landscape.

somehow the spl command changed and now it is print large and portrait.

which spl brings that it is aliased to
lp -dp -onb -olandscape.

Even when I linked (ln -s) it to other HP machine the printing results where the same.

1. Where can I reconfigure the spl command?
2. How can I unaliase the spl? (I did it but its good only for the local shell)

Please advice.
4 REPLIES 4
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

>HP-UX spl command for print

HP-UX? What version? (uname -r)

> We have several HP machines.

HP? Machines like printers, scanners, switches, PCs, disk arrays, or several HP-UX servers such as...?

> which spl brings that it is aliased to lp -dp -onb -olandscape.

You will get much better results using "type spl", not "which spl".

> Even when I linked (ln -s) it to other HP machine the printing results where the same.

I have no idea what this means. ln -s is normally used to link filenames, not machines.

> 1. Where can I reconfigure the spl command?

Reconfigure? Didn't you say that it is simply an alias as in:

alias spl="lp -dp -onb -olandscape"

The option -olandscape will rotate the text and use a smaller font. This is done in the printer script, but only if the printer is locally attached (such as a parallel or serial cable), or connected using hppi (JetDirect) software.

There is nothing useful as far as the printer problem is concerned. Many printers have front panels that allow changing the defaults such as font size and landscape/portrait. If your printer has been setup as a remote printer connected to another computer or a non-HP print server module, then the options such as -onb and -olandscape are ignored and your text is printed in the printers default mode.

> 2. How can I unaliase the spl? (I did it but its good only for the local shell)

Find the alias command in your startup profiles, typically /etc/profile and .profile, like this:

grep alias /etc/profile $HOME/.profile

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Yarok
Regular Advisor

>HP-UX spl command for print

HP-UX? What version? (uname -r)
B.10.20

> We have several HP machines.

HP? Machines like printers, scanners, switches, PCs, disk arrays, or several HP-UX servers such as...?
HP-UX servers (about 10)

> which spl brings that it is aliased to lp -dp -onb -olandscape.

You will get much better results using "type spl", not "which spl".
It gives the path to the spl command.

> Even when I linked (ln -s) it to other HP machine the printing results where the same.

I have no idea what this means. ln -s is normally used to link filenames, not machines.

> 1. Where can I reconfigure the spl command?

Reconfigure? Didn't you say that it is simply an alias as in:

alias spl="lp -dp -onb -olandscape"

The option -olandscape will rotate the text and use a smaller font. This is done in the printer script, but only if the printer is locally attached (such as a parallel or serial cable), or connected using hppi (JetDirect) software.
The printer is an HP laserjet 2420 connected to the ethernet via netcable (serial) and it configures to the HP-UX machine as a remote printer and difines as the default printer.

There is nothing useful as far as the printer problem is concerned. Many printers have front panels that allow changing the defaults such as font size and landscape/portrait. If your printer has been setup as a remote printer connected to another computer or a non-HP print server module, then the options such as -onb and -olandscape are ignored and your text is printed in the printers default mode.

Thats the point - the printer is remote connected to another HP-UX machines. The print results (font, rotate) are defrent between the 2 HP-UX machines... how?

> 2. How can I unaliase the spl? (I did it but its good only for the local shell)

Find the alias command in your startup profiles, typically /etc/profile and .profile, like this:

grep alias /etc/profile $HOME/.profile
No results - no spl aliace found.
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>No results - no spl alias found.

Aliases can also be found in your .kshrc files.
Also look for any files sourced in your ~/.profile.
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

>> You will get much better results using "type spl", not "which spl".

> It gives the path to the spl command.

Actually, it would be more helpful if you showed the result. /usr/contrib/bin/spl? /opt/abcProg/bin/spl? Knowing where it is located may help in tracking down why it exists. spl is not a part of HP-UX. Are you referring to spl as part of an Informix database?

Bill Hassell, sysadmin