New Discussion юеВ

HP-Ux Practice software

SOLVED
Go to solution
Jayraj
Frequent Advisor

HP-Ux Practice software

Hi all,

I am a new bee for HP-Ux. Is there any way to practice HP-Ux commands on my desktop.. As I cannot practice most of the commands on real servers..
5 REPLIES 5
Jeeshan
Honored Contributor

Re: HP-Ux Practice software

no way actually. HP doesn't release any x86 version OS like SUN.
a warrior never quits
sujit kumar singh
Honored Contributor

hello

u can work using HP commands only on a HP PARISC or HP ITANIUM Machine. There is no other way ... no Emulation Softwares also !!!!

regards

Sujit
Srimalik
Valued Contributor
Solution

>As I cannot practice most of the commands on real servers..
Is "rm -rf /" included in the list of commands you want to practice ;)

An old machine which is not being used now and lying in your lab will be a good candidate to to be used as a practice server.

If you know any other unix, I think there is no need to practice, you will quckly learn things as they come up in day to day work.
abandon all hope, ye who enter here..
Mark McDonald_2
Trusted Contributor

Swaraj

In the UK we pick up old HP hardware from ebay quite cheaply. Have a look. You might need to consider the license implications for the OS as well though.

I cant remember the exact details, but from one reseller, the older workstations (j6000) for example often came with an 11.00 license. I found these a great platform to start learning the basics.

Good Luck

Emil Velez
Honored Contributor

I would just use a linux system

For generic unix commands HPUX is very similar to Linux and for administration the main differences is where the RC scripts are and the way you partition disks although LVM is available on most linux distributions.