New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP equivalent tool to EMC's emcgrab

SOLVED
Go to solution
Rita C Workman
Honored Contributor

Chris,

I may not have your many years of experience and know how, and I must admit I can't recall every using VRTSexplorer. But I am with sysinfo (which we use in our system documenting regularly)....but that blasted emcgrab still does all that and more.

Thank you for mentioning the other tool, maybe one day I will be able to run it and do a comparison on it as well.

Kindest regards,
Rita
Raymond E. Lilly
Frequent Advisor

All, thanks for the great discussion!

I haven't done a side-by-side comparison between emcgrab, cfg2html and VRTSexplorer but after running each, it's safe to say that all these tools collect extensive and useful system information. Looks like one of these will suffice, but I'm still going to miss emcgrab.

For anyone that's interested, here is a link to help find VRTSexplorer.
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/243150.htm

I also use print_manifest and machinfo (for itaniums) to supplement what was provided by emcgrab.

There were several posts that mention 'sysinfo'. I'm familiar with the HP Support provided getsysinfo.sh script. Are these the same thing? Does anyone know where / how to get the latest version of getsysinfo.sh from HP?
Michal Kapalka (mikap)
Honored Contributor

hi.

in this case i would recommend to ask directy in HP.

mikap
chris huys_4
Honored Contributor

Hi Ray,

I indeed meant the tool sysinfo.

NOTE: Its the "executable" that is called getsysinfo.sh, so I thought that was also the name of the script, but that is apparantly not the case.
NOTE2: The default outputfile generated by the "getsysinfo.sh executable" is "called" sysinfo.tgz.

I checked the version, I got of sysinfo, and its version 8.15, not sure if there are more recent versions out there.

NOTE3: Someone should make a "customer based" external site, with all hp-ux support tools listed in it, would give a wealth of tools for the customers to use..

I did a quick check of emcgrab, its not to bad for storage related problems, but vrtsexplorer f.e. will give more "general" system output.

NOTE4: and I like the fact that in VRTSexplorer, the "output collected" "is saved" with regards to the hp-ux directory structure (rc.config.d files will be all found beneath etc/rc.config.d directory etc..).

NOTE5: and with VRTSexplorer all unix/linux versions are "within one " executable, instead of 1 executable per OS like with emcgrab.

Greetz,
Chris
PS. Rita, Im not old. ;)
Raymond E. Lilly
Frequent Advisor

Last note on availability of getsysinfo.sh

According to HP Tech Support:

"...I have to notify you that this is not available for download, this is a tool used for upper levels for analysis and troubleshoot normally, and in case that you have any issues with the tool the support is out of the scope of the response center."

The version I have is Revision: 8.20.1

Thanks for all the responses!
Ray