Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HP equivalent tool to EMC's emcgrab

SOLVED
Go to solution
Raymond E. Lilly
Frequent Advisor

HP equivalent tool to EMC's emcgrab

Does anyone know if there is an HP tool available for general system configuration documentation like the one available from EMC?

I recently migrated off the EMC storage platform (onto and EVA) and would like to find an official HP equivalent. In other words, a tool that I have a legal right to use.

For those of you who are not familiar with the emcgrab tool, it creates an archive that contains the output from various system commands. For example, arp, bdf, cstm, df, ioscan, kctune, lvdisplay, swlist, etc… you name it, it’s in there. Very handy to have when you need it.

Thanks to all who reply,
Ray
14 REPLIES
singh sanjeev
Trusted Contributor
Solution

Re: HP equivalent tool to EMC's emcgrab

http://www.cfg2html.com/

above link will helpfull to you. configuration collector.

you can check on your HP system in /opt/cfg2html directory.
Sanjeev Singh
singh sanjeev
Trusted Contributor

one more script like EMCgrab is nickel script.
Sanjeev Singh
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

nickel was written many years ago and the author has moved on to other things. cfg2html is much, much more thorough than emcgrab -- and emcgrab is getting a bit dated, especially for 11.31 and Itanium. Once you see the output from cfg2html, you'll not look back. cfg2html is actively maintained a a large group of volunteers for many different platforms.

HP created a tool called sysinfo but it was usually available only to support contract customers. Not sure where it is these days.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Raj D.
Honored Contributor

Ray, You can try : cfg2html: Link given below: This is free:
For : hp-ux 11.11 to 11.31 (PA+IA):
http://www.cfg2html.com/cfg2html_hpux_4.77-20100630-24588.depot

It produces a single .html file, once done, upload to your pc/workstation and you see all the important informations needed.

- Download the .depot file.
- Ftp to the server.
- Install using # swinstall -s `pwd`/file.depot
- cd /opt/cfg2html
- Execute: # ./cfg2html
- upload the `hostname`.html file to PC to view.

Enjoy,
Raj.
" If u think u can , If u think u cannot , - You are always Right . "
Basheer_2
Trusted Contributor

Hello Raymond,

Yes, cfg2html is a very good doc tool.

other short ones are
print_manifest
machinfo (for itaniums)
Don Mallory
Trusted Contributor

HP has a tool for windows hosts called "HP Report", but you have to get it from support.

Unfortunately, there is is no website to upload them to to get a "HEAT" report back as there was on PowerLink.

The HP Support Matrices are also a little more challenging. Find them at SPOCK (Single Point of Connectivity Knowledge) - http://h20272.www2.hp.com/

Most of mine are done with print_manifest which comes out of the IgniteUX bundle.

Best regards,
Don
Rita C Workman
Honored Contributor

I don't run EVA, but I haven't heard anyone here or other places ever mention any report that is as intrusive on gathering system infomation as the emcgrab.

So, even though folks mentioned a number of good utilities, I don't think there is one that gets you all that emcgrab gets.

Rgrds,
Rita

...maybe you could take what is already out there and build on it...

chris huys_4
Honored Contributor

Hi Raymond, Rita,

> So, even though folks mentioned a number of
> good utilities, I don't think there is one
> that gets you all that emcgrab gets.
tss, tss, tss.. ;)

I almost always ask customers to provide of their systems, output from symantec's VRTSexplorer output, to be found on support.symantec.com and HP's internal support tool, getsysinfo.sh.

These 2 outputs combined, together with some dedicated 11.31 ioscan output; ioscan -fnN, ioscan -m lun, ioscan -m hwpath and storage output like xpinfo/evainfo, will give a detailed general overview of a system and will probably give a lot more info then emc's emcgrab tool. ;)

Greetz,
Chris
Michal Kapalka (mikap)
Honored Contributor

hi,

in our enviroment we always used the SysInfo, directly delivered from HP.

mikap
Rita C Workman
Honored Contributor

Chris,

I may not have your many years of experience and know how, and I must admit I can't recall every using VRTSexplorer. But I am with sysinfo (which we use in our system documenting regularly)....but that blasted emcgrab still does all that and more.

Thank you for mentioning the other tool, maybe one day I will be able to run it and do a comparison on it as well.

Kindest regards,
Rita
Raymond E. Lilly
Frequent Advisor

All, thanks for the great discussion!

I haven't done a side-by-side comparison between emcgrab, cfg2html and VRTSexplorer but after running each, it's safe to say that all these tools collect extensive and useful system information. Looks like one of these will suffice, but I'm still going to miss emcgrab.

For anyone that's interested, here is a link to help find VRTSexplorer.
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/243150.htm

I also use print_manifest and machinfo (for itaniums) to supplement what was provided by emcgrab.

There were several posts that mention 'sysinfo'. I'm familiar with the HP Support provided getsysinfo.sh script. Are these the same thing? Does anyone know where / how to get the latest version of getsysinfo.sh from HP?
Michal Kapalka (mikap)
Honored Contributor

hi.

in this case i would recommend to ask directy in HP.

mikap
chris huys_4
Honored Contributor

Hi Ray,

I indeed meant the tool sysinfo.

NOTE: Its the "executable" that is called getsysinfo.sh, so I thought that was also the name of the script, but that is apparantly not the case.
NOTE2: The default outputfile generated by the "getsysinfo.sh executable" is "called" sysinfo.tgz.

I checked the version, I got of sysinfo, and its version 8.15, not sure if there are more recent versions out there.

NOTE3: Someone should make a "customer based" external site, with all hp-ux support tools listed in it, would give a wealth of tools for the customers to use..

I did a quick check of emcgrab, its not to bad for storage related problems, but vrtsexplorer f.e. will give more "general" system output.

NOTE4: and I like the fact that in VRTSexplorer, the "output collected" "is saved" with regards to the hp-ux directory structure (rc.config.d files will be all found beneath etc/rc.config.d directory etc..).

NOTE5: and with VRTSexplorer all unix/linux versions are "within one " executable, instead of 1 executable per OS like with emcgrab.

Greetz,
Chris
PS. Rita, Im not old. ;)
Raymond E. Lilly
Frequent Advisor

Last note on availability of getsysinfo.sh

According to HP Tech Support:

"...I have to notify you that this is not available for download, this is a tool used for upper levels for analysis and troubleshoot normally, and in case that you have any issues with the tool the support is out of the scope of the response center."

The version I have is Revision: 8.20.1

Thanks for all the responses!
Ray