Operating System - HP-UX
1752790 Members
6096 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP rx8640(2-16 Processors) vs superdome )16 Processors)

SOLVED
Go to solution
Jawed_1
Occasional Contributor

HP rx8640(2-16 Processors) vs superdome )16 Processors)

Hi,
We are considering to purchase a 16 Processors/32 cores Itanium machine. What is the differnce between rx8640 and superdome 16 processor machine apart from scalability of superodme. I need to know following;
1. Purchase Cost: with full capacity of processors and RAM.
2. Total cost of ownership(Power, Cooling and other environment issues)
3. Suport cost

Thanks for you support and Time.
Regards
Jawed
4. Performance
6 REPLIES 6
Solution

Jawed,

No-one on these forums can give you those costs accurately enough for you to make a purchasing decision on (nor should they as all costs are provided to customers a commercial in confidence) - you should be talking to your local HP rep. For the sorts of monies you pay for these kinds of servers, they should be only too happy to help you understand the costs and TCO. COntact numbers in Indonesia are here:

http://welcome.hp.com/country/id/en/contact/phone_assist.html#section2

In terms of performance, for like-for-like configs (in terms of cells/cpu/memory) they will be largely similar although the Superdome will edge out the rx8640 slightly by dint of having an extra crossbar backplane (the Superdome has 3, the rx8640 only 2). The Superdome also has a few minor additional RAS features you won't see on the rx8640.

HTH

Duncan

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo
Md. Farhan A Azam
Trusted Contributor

Hi,

Better to talk with HP representative.
Jawed_1
Occasional Contributor

Hi,
I understand that exact cost could be given ONLY by HP. I just want to have ideat between approximate cost differnce and performance.

Thankx
Jawed
Avinash20
Honored Contributor

To get all your queries answered perfectly, you need to get in touch with our HP Sales team.
They will definately try to provide the best quote and will be providing you the differences between these two server.
"Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak."
Avinash20
Honored Contributor

For price list, I could find a pdf online, but I am not sure if this is relevant.
h41131.www4.hp.com/media2.php/Switzerland/PublicWeb_Docs/Pricelist/pl01bcs.pdf?dl=1 -

One more url which provide the list of prices:
http://www.sizinglounge.com/index.php?type=sizing&ext=box

With regards to performance
http://h20341.www2.hp.com/integrity/downloads/SPEC2006_rate_SD.pdf

But I would prefer you to talk to HP Sales team for the same.
"Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak."
TTr
Honored Contributor

While you run the cost comparisons, will you need more that 16P/32C? And if so can you make this work with 2 8640s or would you have needed the SD? There is online pricing for the 8640 but you would need HP to get pricing for a SD.