cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HPASM not working on HP DL360 G5

keysorsoze
Occasional Visitor

HPASM not working on HP DL360 G5

Hi! we are running a large number of DL360G5's running RHEL4 update 6. We are trying to get the hpasm-8.0.0-173.rhel4 binary working. So we can use a Nagios script to query hardware health etc. This saves us the burden of configuring SNMP since we can query the hardware via hpasmcli. The problem is hpasm refuses to run. I do a /etc/init.d/hpasm start and get the following:

[root@srv123 init.d]# /etc/init.d/hpasm start
Using standard Linux IPMI device driver and hpasm-lite
Starting Proliant Standard IPMI based System Health Moni[ OK ]smlited):
Starting Foundation Agents (cmafdtn): cmathreshd cmahostd cmapeerd
Starting Threshold agent (cmathreshd): [ OK ]
Starting Host agent (cmahostd): [ OK ]
Starting SNMP Peer (cmapeerd): [ OK ]

Starting Server Agents (cmasvr): cmastdeqd cmahealthd cmaperfd cpqriisd cmasm2d cmarackd
Starting Standard Equipment agent (cmastdeqd): [ OK ]
Starting Health agent (cmahealthd): [ OK ]
Starting Performance agent (cmaperfd): [ OK ]
cpqriisd requires hp_ilo.
[ OK ]
Starting RIB agent (cmasm2d): [ OK ]
[ OK ]
Starting Rack agent (cmarackd): [ OK ]

Starting Storage Agents (cmastor): cmaeventd cmaidad cmafcad cmaided cmascsid cmasasd
Starting Storage Event Logger (cmaeventd): [ OK ]
Starting IDA agent (cmaidad): [ OK ]
Starting FCA agent (cmafcad): [ OK ]
Starting IDE agent (cmaided): [ OK ]
Starting SCSI agent (cmascsid): [ OK ]
Starting SAS agent (cmasasd): [ OK ]

Starting NIC Agents (cmanic): All agents
Starting NIC Agent Daemon (cmanicd): Unable to determine if cmanic successfully started

hpasm: Server Management is enabled

but when the command "hpasmcli" is ran I get the following:

HP management CLI for Linux (v1.0)
Copyright 2004 Hewlett-Packard Development Group, L.P.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
NOTE: Some hpasmcli commands may not be supported on all Proliant servers.
Type 'help' to get a list of all top level commands.

ERROR: Could not communicate with hpasmd.
Please make sure the hpasmd daemon is started and running properly.

There is also an error within the /var/log/messages

May 7 16:28:51 srv123 hpasmlited[17894]: hpasmxld: Invalid Device: /dev/ipmi0
May 7 16:46:38 srv123 hpasmlited[18877]: hpasmxld: Invalid Device: /dev/ipmi0
May 7 16:46:57 srv123 hpasmlited[19848]: hpasmxld: Invalid Device: /dev/ipmi0
May 7 16:47:35 srv123 hpasmlited[21007]: hpasmxld: Invalid Device: /dev/ipmi0

I have a ticket open with HP on this issue and we have been stumped. Any ideas would be helpful.

Thanks.

6 REPLIES
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

Re: HPASM not working on HP DL360 G5

Based on the message "Using standard Linux IPMI device driver and hpasm-lite", I'm guessing you have not installed the hp-OpenIPMI-8.0.0-113.rhel4 package. It's listed in the download page as "HP OpenIPMI Device Driver for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4".

See the installation instructions:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=1121486&swItem=MTX-ce7f1ecb7260496a889dccff15&prodNameId=3288144&swEnvOID=2026&swLang=8&taskId=135&mode=4&idx=0

Apparently the hp-OpenIPMI driver is a requirement with hpasm-8.0.0 and above and the newer Proliant servers for full functionality.

The description of the hp-OpenIPMI driver says: "The hp-OpenIPMI device driver enhancements are expected to be incorporated into the OpenIPMI device driver (www.openipmi.org) and subsequently, the standard Linux kernel." So the need for a special hp-OpenIPMI package will hopefully go away in future versions of Linux.

MK
MK
keysorsoze
Occasional Visitor

Matti Kurkela, Thank you for the help I have installed the "hp-OpenIPMI-8.0.0-113.rhel4.i386.rpm" like you suggested but I still have a failure to start the hpasmcli. Here is what errored out:

[root@srv123 linux]# /etc/init.d/hpasm start

Using high performance hp-OpenIPMI device driver
/opt/hp/hp-OpenIPMI /home/admin.dk/compaq/csp/linux
hpasmd: Attempting Rebuild of hp-OpenIPMI package
hpasmd: Successful rebuild of hp-OpenIPMI package
/home/admin.dk/compaq/csp/linux
modinfo: could not find module /opt/hp/hp-OpenIPMI/bin/2.6.9-67.0.4.ELsmp/ipmi_si.ko
Starting hp-OpenIPMI:
insmod: can't read '/opt/hp/hp-OpenIPMI/bin/2.6.9-67.0.4.ELsmp/ipmi_devintf.ko': No such file or directory
hp-OpenIPMI: Not able to start ipmi_devintf.ko
[FAILED]
Starting Foundation Agents (cmafdtn): cmathreshd cmahostd cmapeerd
Starting Threshold agent (cmathreshd): [FAILED]
Starting Host agent (cmahostd): [FAILED]
Starting SNMP Peer (cmapeerd): [FAILED]

Starting Server Agents (cmasvr): cmastdeqd cmahealthd cmaperfd cpqriisd cmasm2d cmarackd
Starting Standard Equipment agent (cmastdeqd): [FAILED]
Starting Health agent (cmahealthd): [ OK ]
Starting Performance agent (cmaperfd): [FAILED]
[ OK ]
Starting RIB agent (cmasm2d): [ OK ]
[ OK ]
Starting Rack agent (cmarackd): [ OK ]

Starting Storage Agents (cmastor): cmaeventd cmaidad cmafcad cmaided cmascsid cmasasd
Starting Storage Event Logger (cmaeventd): [FAILED]
Starting IDA agent (cmaidad): [FAILED]
Starting FCA agent (cmafcad): [FAILED]
Starting IDE agent (cmaided): [FAILED]
Starting SCSI agent (cmascsid): [FAILED]
Starting SAS agent (cmasasd): [FAILED]

Starting NIC Agents (cmanic): All agents
Starting NIC Agent Daemon (cmanicd): Unable to determine if cmanic successfully started

hpasm: Server Management is enabled
[root@srv123 linux]# hpasmcli
HP management CLI for Linux (v1.0)
Copyright 2004 Hewlett-Packard Development Group, L.P.

NOTE: Some hpasmcli commands may not be supported on all Proliant servers.
Type 'help' to get a list of all top level commands.

ERROR: Could not communicate with hpasmd.
Please make sure the hpasmd daemon is started and running properly.

Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

As it says:
modinfo: could not find module /opt/hp/hp-OpenIPMI/bin/2.6.9-67.0.4.ELsmp/ipmi_si.ko
Starting hp-OpenIPMI:
insmod: can't read '/opt/hp/hp-OpenIPMI/bin/2.6.9-67.0.4.ELsmp/ipmi_devintf.ko': No such file or directory

Do the listed module files exist? If they do, run "depmod -a" to refresh the module dependency information and try starting hpasm again.

If the files don't exist, try compiling the driver manually:
cd /opt/hp/hp-OpenIPMI
make

This should produce quite a lot of messages, but ideally no WARNING or ERROR messages. If you get errors, please post them here: with them, we might find out why the automatic rebuild failed.

MK
MK
keysorsoze
Occasional Visitor

Matti, thank you for your help I finally got the hpasm unit working on our system. Only thing was a simple reboot but it worked! I am running the lastest kernel 2.6.9.67.0.15 and HPASMCLI finally works. HP support was basically saying its the kernel but you proved otherwise. Thanks for the help.

James Fielder
Occasional Visitor

Hi there,

I stumbled on this thread from a google search. I am experiencing similar symptoms but had a different result from the last poster. When I tired to build the modules by hand, I get errors:

mv: cannot stat `/lib/modules/kabi-4.0-0smp/build//include/linux/ipmi.h': No such file or directory
mv: cannot stat `/lib/modules/kabi-4.0-0smp/build//include/linux/ipmi_msgdefs.h': No such file or directory
mv: cannot stat `/lib/modules/kabi-4.0-0smp/build//include/linux/ipmi_smi.h': No such file or directory
cp: cannot create regular file `/lib/modules/kabi-4.0-0smp/build//include/linux/ipmi.h': No such file or directory
cp: cannot create regular file `/lib/modules/kabi-4.0-0smp/build//include/linux/ipmi_msgdefs.h': No such file or directory
cp: cannot create regular file `/lib/modules/kabi-4.0-0smp/build//include/linux/ipmi_smi.h': No such file or directory

Somehow the impi header files don't seem to seem to be there... any ideas? Thsnks.
Leibniz
Advisor

@James:

I can tell you that you need your kernel header files in order to compile modules. In RHEL, it's the kernel devel package, just install it.

To the original subject: we also have RHEL 4.6 servers and I'm just in the middle of installing hpasm 7.9.1-13 with snmp and have not had any problems yet. Of course I'm also installing OpenIPMI.

The only thing I haven't been able to figure out with the hpasm install, is that sometimes hpasmd gets installed, and sometimes hpasmdlite; all on RHEL 4 servers. I have no idea why or how it would choose a lite version of a standard daemon.

Anyway, just thought I'd mention it. Maybe there are newer or different requirements with the 8. version of hpasm.