HPUX 10.20 questions.

SOLVED
Go to solution
TechC
Regular Advisor

HPUX 10.20 questions.

Hello ITRC members I have two issues.
Box is running HPUX 10.20
The box does not have a locally attached tape drive.
1)I need to backup to network storage using fbackup over NFS. Thing is with HPUX 10.20 the NFS version is 2 which does not allow creating files over 2 GB. So fbackup dies after writing 2 GB of data. There are NFS patches that allow you to update the /etc/rc.config.d/nfsconf and will allow mounting NFS file systems ala....
"mount -F nfs -o vers=3 server:/export /mnt"
I actually have another HPUX 10.20 box updated with the correct NFS patches and it works for creating files greater than 2gb with fbackup.
HPUX 10.20 is no longer supported and I cannot find the patch ID's on the ITRC for the updated NFS patches.
Is there a way to download patches for HPUX 10.20?

2)Is it possible to use strictly fbackup to backup the entire system. Can fbackup be used to recover from a failed root disk?
With solaris using their native ufsdump utility you can backup the slices and recover from total disk failure. My question is can fbackup be used to do the same? I have used make_recovery or make_tape_recovery to restore systems and that is a great utility, just want to know if I can use fbackup to restore the system. I do not have tape drives or Ignite-UX on some of these older machines still in production.

Thank you
James
12 REPLIES
Johnson Punniyalingam
Honored Contributor

Re: HPUX 10.20 questions.

Hi James,

Is there a way to download patches for HPUX 10.20?

NO, hope you know HPUX 10.20 End of Support, alternative ways, should approach "HP Customer Service" request from them.

Is it possible to use strictly fbackup to backup the entire system. Can fbackup be used to recover from a failed root disk?

NO

fbackup -- > refer's to file system back, not root disk, in this chance , I would recomend "Ignite Backup"

My question is can fbackup be used to do the same? I have used make_recovery or make_tape_recovery to restore systems

NO , both perform different purpose,

I do not have tape drives or Ignite-UX on some of these older machines still in production.

(In this case you can plan for make_net_recovery) for the server which d'not have tape-driver,

You perform the Ignite_backup by setting up Ignite Server,

Thanks,
Johnson

Problems are common to all, but attitude makes the difference
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi James:

> Is there a way to download patches for HPUX 10.20?

Yes, there is a 10.20 patch archive here:

http://www13.itrc.hp.com/service/patch/mainPage.do

...select the "find archive patches" link a the bottom of the page.

> Is it possible to use strictly fbackup to backup the entire system. Can fbackup be used to recover from a failed root disk?

No, but install a copy of Ignite from the latest 10.20 Applications CDROM set you have. Onec done, make an Ignite recovery tape and deploy that. Versions of Ignite for 11.0 will also back-support 10.20 if you only have 11.0 media.

Regards!

...JRF...

TechC
Regular Advisor

Thank you for the responses guys.

James,
On this response to my question.
You guys say that fbackup is for file system and not OS backup..
Just to be clear. If i had ran fbackup with the
"-i /" flag telling fbackup to back up root and everything under it.
And then my root disk failed and I reinstalled the OS on a new root disk creating the lvm layout in the same fashion. Restoring all the files I backed up with fbackup would not bring my system to the same state it was in before it failed?

Don't mean to be repetitive just trying to clarify why it would not work, it seems logical to me is all.

So it useless for me to be backing up "/","/usr", "/var", "/opt" with fbackup?

Since I do not have a tape drive, I guess I would have to install Ignite on a different box and run the make_net_recovery to create the image then.

Thank you in advance.
James
Johnson Punniyalingam
Honored Contributor

Hi James,

And then my root disk failed and I reinstalled the OS on a new root disk

make_tape_recovery ==> you no need to build your server from scratch,

Question what would you do if you need similar kernal parameter..? Once after re-installation the OS will again perform the kernal paremeter (to my its not logical)

Thanks,
Johnson
TechC
Regular Advisor

Johnson,
I understand your point perfectly. obviously make_tape_recovery is the tool designed for a recovery of the OS. It has actually rescued me from a dead system in 24/7 production environments at least 3 times that I can remember.
But I have recently inherited many HP-UX 10.20 boxes at remote sites running in production that for one do not have Ignite-UX installed and two, do not have a local tape drive.
To make it more difficult, I do not have a system that I can run an Ignite-UX server on to use make_net_recovery to create net images. So I am in a bind to find a solution before something crashes.

How about a dd command line to clone the entire disk sector by sector? Will that work for the OS disk since fbackup is not an option?

Unfortunately the staff do not want to hear that it is time to upgrade.

Thank you
James
Johnson Punniyalingam
Honored Contributor

>>How about a dd command line to clone the entire disk sector by sector?

Will that work for the OS disk since fbackup is not an option?<<<

Yes, It would work, do you have enough disk (i mean 2 spare disk in the Server to clone your Pri-Sec root disk ..?)

(may be you schdule cron to perfrom dd to clone the disk perodicaly)

Thx,
Johnson
TechC
Regular Advisor

OK that is more like it. dd it is then!!
If that has to be the way then that is how it will be.
Thanks Johnson.

I have an 11.11 box..Can that be used as an Ignite-UX server to service net images for 10.20 clients.

Thank you
James
Johnson Punniyalingam
Honored Contributor

>>>have an 11.11 box..Can that be used as an Ignite-UX server to service net images for 10.20 clients<<

As long you can cater enough diskspace for (with 3 Achrives ) your Ignite Clinets, i d'not see any problem.

Current Setting of My Ignite Server
===================================

# uname -a;model
HP-UX hpvmhost B.11.23 U ia64 0432837240 unlimited-user license
ia64 hp server rx6600

Logical Volume
==============
/dev/vg00/lvol9 41943040 25813728 16003328 62% /var/opt/ignite/recovery/archives

Thx,
Johnson
TechC
Regular Advisor

OK then, i will have to test an 11.11 box as a ignite-ux server for my 10.20 clients. Perhaps that can be an answer to my issues.

Thank you
James
Johnson Punniyalingam
Honored Contributor

Hi James,

>>>OK then, i will have to test an 11.11 box as a ignite-ux server for my 10.20 clients. Perhaps that can be an answer to my issues.<<

Yes, You are Right, last Year we had HPUX 11.11 as our Ignite server no issue, we recently only we ugraded to HPUX 11.23,

As long as you down the "Ignite" Patch Bundle for latest Release for HPUX 11.11 , no problem.

Links from where to download the latest Ignite version

http://docs.hp.com/en/IUX/download.html (contains the installation instructions as well)
Or
http://h20392.www2.hp.com/portal/swdepot/displayProductInfo.do?productNumber=IGNITEUXB

Thanks,
Johnson
Laurent Menase
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi James,
you can fbackup, but you need to be carefull to your lvm config and lvmtab.
If you restore your lvmtab for instance , you will get some troubles.
secondly, you also need to restore in single user, to limit the number of processes opened.

basically it will take you much more time to recover by hand with a fbackup tape than using ignite.

The other way to recover with a fbackup,
install a first os on a first disk
then create a new volume group, import a new disk to that volume group,
create your logical volumes, mount them under /mnt /mnt/stand /mnt/usr .....
copy /dev/rmt... to the new /mnt/dev
chroot a frecover on /mnt
then take back lvmtab from /etc, copy it to /mnt/etc
mkboot the new disk, lvlboot it.

then you will have made about the same than what ignite made.

the other possibility is to use ignite scripting facilities, then you can add scripts to ignite to load from a fbackup......
A lot of happy way to explore...
enjoy!

Happy new year!
TechC
Regular Advisor

Thanks list.
ideas are helpful.