1753469 Members
4755 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion

HPUX 11.31 Tape DSF Files changing

catastro
Super Advisor

HPUX 11.31 Tape DSF Files changing

Hi all. I am facing a curious and tricky case in here. I have an 11iv3 since May 2009 and an ESL Tape Library connected with FC.
My tape DSF files are changing sometimes with no reason. In my syslog file don´t appear anything that indicates any reason.
I have to say this is a ServiceGuard cluster with DataProtector 6.11 installed on it, but I suppose it does not have anything to do in this as it is changing in my OS as well.
Any clues about this? Thanks a lot.
4 REPLIES 4
Viktor Balogh
Honored Contributor

Re: HPUX 11.31 Tape DSF Files changing

>My tape DSF files are changing sometimes with no reason.

There must be a reason for it. Maybe the zoning was changed, or they replaced a defected fc switch. Ask the SAN team about it.
Unix operates with beer.
catastro
Super Advisor

Hi. The answer is NO.
There was no SAN switch replacement at all.
The zoning has been rebuilt as soon as I saw this problem as a try, if it was done badly, but as we did again the zoning, it happened the same.
I think is not a Data Protector issue, as is the OS the one that tells DP wich are the tape device files and DSF.
Any more clues about this?
catastro
Super Advisor

Vy the way, I already tried to rmsf the DSF files and recreate them with the names I want, but I was not able.
I remover the DSF files from both tape drives, and tried the mksf ommand.
All times I try to do the mksf with the name I want, it fails.
catastro
Super Advisor

OK, now I see what is happening.
My DSF files in my OS are not changing at all.
It´s the DataProtector package device files wich are changing if the package is in one SG node or in the other one.
The behavior I have seen is normal, and the tape drives are not failing at all.
Thanks anyway for your time.