cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HPUX 1131 & Maestro

Acxiom Unix Team
Frequent Advisor

HPUX 1131 & Maestro

Our client has 2 HPUX 11.31 servers and they are running an old version of Maestro (6.1 i think it is). For the purpose of this posting i will call the servers A & B.

On Server A before an automated Maestro job starts it runs a check to make sure the script this process will use is in existance on Server B.

It simply does a remsh to Server B and echos back if it can see this target script. after doing an ls command. If so the main process starts.

Due to the nature of the business sometimes 2 of these processes can start at the same time in Maestro, so it does this test twice at the same time and this is where the problems start.

I have found by testing that when the test script was run to check for this script by any other user than root on the remote server (Server B) twice at the same time it would fail 50% of the time and this would then stop the main maestro process running.

The script is fine and works 100% no matter what user runs the script on the remote server (Server B)if just run once, it only fails if the test script is run twice at the same time.

So having said all that my questions are this

1) Can you think of any other ways to test for the existance of a script on a remote box where it would work when run twice at the same time by any user?

2) Are there any restrictions to stop 2 processes running a script at exactly the same time?

Sorry this is long winded but our client is claiming that these failures never happened before they moved to our data centre and so they now expect us to work it all out.
Where is my beer...??
1 REPLY
Acxiom Unix Team
Frequent Advisor

Re: HPUX 1131 & Maestro

Sorted myself
Where is my beer...??