5780 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion

HPUX OS license information ?

in_kunal
Occasional Advisor

HPUX OS license information ?

Hi all,
Just need to know HPUX OS license information.
Is there any thing like license key for the OS?
Any command to know OS license information.

uname –l (Always gives)

unlimited-user license

Is there any installation CD which can have limited users.
How to get all this license information for OS any file or command.
I am not getting a clear idea of HPUX licensing policy.
4 REPLIES 4
Jozef_Novak
Respected Contributor

Re: HPUX OS license information ?

Hello,

any HPUX installation has no restriction on the number of users using it. The unlimited user license given by the uname command is displayed for legacy reasons only.

Currently, HPUX 11iv3 licensing is OE-based. Check out the following link:

http://h20338.www2.hp.com/hpux11i/cache/585225-0-0-0-121.html

Jozef
in_kunal
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for reply i also need to know supose i have one DVD of 11.23i can i install on any number of HP-UX servers. or some ristrictions is there. Is OS CD distribution allowed or not.

Thanks.
Jozef_Novak
Respected Contributor

Hello,

you need a separate HPUX license for every server that you plan to install it on. Even virtual machines require their own HPUX licenses.

Jozef
Patrice Le Guyader
Respected Contributor

Hello,

What you need to know about this licensing politics is that is related to the number of Cores on your machine. After you buy a type of OS such as for exemple a HPUX 11.31 VSOE(For HPVM product).

In this release you will find number of softwares than you'll be able to install from your DVD without CodeWords. There must be now 4 different releases of HPUX.

http://h20338.www2.hp.com/hpux11i/cache/458092-0-0-0-121.html#packaging

As far as I know when you bought a VSOE for making virtual machines licences are bought with the host and not the HPUX Guests. This licensing problem acording to the VMs is different for the application hosted (Oracle, etc...); some editors count the vCPU ; other physical ones.

Hope this helps
Kenavo
Pat.
Good judgement comes with experience. Unfortunately, the experience usually comes from bad judgement.