HPE Community read-only access December 15, 2018
This is a maintenance upgrade. You will be able to read articles and posts, but not post or reply.
Hours:
Dec 15, 4:00 am to 10:00 am UTC
Dec 14, 10:00 pm CST to Dec 15, 4:00 am CST
Dec 14, 8:00 pm PST to Dec 15, 2:00 am PST
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HPUX Tape Driver issue

YAKEN
Occasional Advisor

HPUX Tape Driver issue

Hi

I Have LTO3 Drvie *4 , LTO4 Drive*2 , Check tape drive use "ioscan -funC tape" and "ioscan -fnNC tape" the status not the same , how can I fix this problem, thanks

tape01.pngtape02.png

3 REPLIES
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: HPUX Tape Driver issue

Why is this an issue?

IMHO this is pretty normal (one instance is claimed by stape, the other by estape).

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

There is no issue here.  You are looking at 2 different views of your tapes.  

In your first screen shot you have the legacy view with the legacy hardware paths and device files (/dev/rmt/*)

In your 2nd screen shot you have the new agile view (part of the new I/O stack in 11.31) with the new agile path and agile device files (/dev/rtape/tape*).

Here's an example from one of my 11.31 systems.  Notice that the 'I' column is different on mine as well.

atl6-11.31 root /root # ioscan -funC tape
Class     I  H/W Path  Driver S/W State   H/W Type     Description
==================================================================
tape      3  0/2/1/0/4/0.1.3.255.0.0.1  stape   CLAIMED     DEVICE       HP      Ultrium 3-SCSI
                      /dev/rmt/3m            /dev/rmt/3mn           /dev/rmt/c4t0d1BEST    /dev/rmt/c4t0d1BESTn
                      /dev/rmt/3mb           /dev/rmt/3mnb          /dev/rmt/c4t0d1BESTb   /dev/rmt/c4t0d1BESTnb

atl6-11.31 root /root # ioscan -fnNC tape
Class     I  H/W Path  Driver S/W State   H/W Type     Description
===================================================================
tape      4  64000/0xfa00/0x22  estape   CLAIMED     DEVICE       HP      Ultrium 3-SCSI
                      /dev/rtape/tape4_BEST    /dev/rtape/tape4_BESTb   /dev/rtape/tape4_BESTn   /dev/rtape/tape4_BESTnb
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

The I column is a bookeeping number and refers to the order in which the device was added to the kernel's internal tables. The letter I refers to instance.

ioscan does not report any device status except its connection to the driver (ie, S/W State such as CLAIMED) and Description which is returned by the tape drive itself.
To see the tape drive status, use the mt command as in:

# mt -f /dev/rmt/1m status
Drive:  HP Ultrium 3-SCSI
Format:
File:   0
Block:  0

# mt -f /dev/rmt/8m status
Drive:  HP C1537A
Format: DDS-3 format
Status: [41112500] BOT online compression immediate-report-mode
File:   0
Block:  0

So the first tape device /dev/rmt/1m is installed and connected but there is no tape in the drive (status [0]). The second tape device /dev/rmt/8m has a tape installed. BOT means Beginning Of Tape so the tape is currently rewound.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin