New Discussion

Re: HPUX duplicated HOSTID(uname -i) questions

SOLVED
Go to solution
likid0
Honored Contributor

HPUX duplicated HOSTID(uname -i) questions

Hi,

I have discovered 3 servers with the same hostid, and they are giving problems with and application.

I have some questions about the hostid.

How does the proccess of generating the hostid work?

The hostid gets generated with and algotithim based on the serial number of the server where the OS is running?

When I clone a server in different hardware using ignite, the hostid should be regenerated on the new server ?

What can cause to have duplicated hostid's ?. Could the problem be, that I have cloned and ignite image to a server where they haven't written the serial number back to the system board after a replacement?

Once the OS is installed and working is there a way to change the hostid, without reinstalling the OS, I mean if I update or modify the serial number on the server, the hostid would change after a reboot , or you have to reinstall the full OS to get a new hostid ?

Thanks.

p.S. This thread has been moved from General to HP-UX > sysadmin. - Hp Forum Moderator

Windows?, no thanks
8 REPLIES 8
Stan_M
HPE Pro

The number originates from firmware, it's not something going with HPUX installation.

On IPF systems value comes from machine UUID:

# getconf MACHINE_IDENT
4f618f63-c..6-1..b-9024-00f7...
# uname -i
# bc
obase=16
4F618F63

What are the IDENT values you see and what is the model of the systems?

I work for HPE
likid0
Honored Contributor

Hi Stan,

This is happening on risc servers, on models rp3440, rp4440 and rp8420. Could you confirm if on pa-risc servers the HOSTID is created based on the "getconf MACHINE_IDENT" ?.

If this is the case do you know how generated the Machine_ident ?, I'm triying to relate it to a missing SERIAL o something similar after a systemboard replacement..

Thanks

Windows?, no thanks
Stan_M
HPE Pro

On PA RISC the machine ident and uname -i should be the same and they originate from firmware (PDC on PA) too.

They need to be adjusted after system board is replaced. You'll have to speak to HP's HW support about changing these.

I work for HPE
likid0
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Here is and example on pa-risc:

/> getconf MACHINE_IDENT
Z3e10340c8cf03918
root@epsilon:/> uname -i

What I was triying to understand is how we can end with duplicated hostIDs on several servers

Windows?, no thanks
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor
Solution

For all HP-UX servers, the serial number stored in the firmware must be unique -- this is a legal requirement for licensing and cannot be changed by any HP-UX command including Ignite. This is a firmware ID number and every new computer from HP will have a unique serial number (uname -i or MACHINE_IDENT). This number is partially formed from the printed serial number and other characteristics of the system.  If the system board has been replaced, an authorized HP service technician will change the replacement board to match the original board. Then the original board is sent back to HP to be repaired and initialized to a new value. There can never be two system boards with the same serial number (uname -i). You'll need to call an authorized HP service technician to resolve the issue.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
likid0
Honored Contributor

Thnx for the info bill, any idea even if it's speculation on how the servers have endend up with the same hostid?
Windows?, no thanks
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

You'll have to ask the vendor who sold you the systems.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Could you check the serialno. and product ID of the servers? Are they different?

Depending on machine model and OS use STM, machinfo, etc ...

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!