108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HPUX error 11

SOLVED
Go to solution
PVR
Valued Contributor

HPUX error 11

Can any body say what HPUX error 11 means??

Which parameter controls the max. no of file descriptors in HP unix??

An urgent reply is highly appreciated

thanks
Don't give up. Try till success...
5 REPLIES 5
Mark Grant
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: HPUX error 11

error 11 means

No more processes

This can be due to a runaway process that is creating loads of unwanted processes or the number of processes, system wide or per user being set too low in the kernel configs.

Never preceed any demonstration with anything more predictive than "watch this"
James Murtagh
Honored Contributor

Hi,

If you want to check the error codes see the file /usr/include/sys/errno.h - it maps numbers to names which you can find out more from "man errno".

I think nfile is the parameter you're looking for at a system level, maxfiles and maxfiles_lim control resources at the process level. See the following document for more info :

http://www.docs.hp.com/hpux/onlinedocs/TKP-90202/TKP-90202.html

Cheers,

James.

Check your nproc parameter, it may be set too low:

kmtune |grep nproc

Andy
Tim Sanko
Trusted Contributor

I would look for maxuprcs. It is defaulted to 75. If you are in an oracle environment, 2048 is more realistic..
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

Errno 11 (EAGAIN) is not related to the number of open files but if can be generated by a fairly large number of system calls so that without more data, it's not possible to pinpoint the problem. For example, fork() can fail if nproc OR maxuprc is reached -- both will set errno to EAGAIN. However, lockf() (file locking), semop() (semaphores), msgsnd() (IPC Messages), and others can also set errno to EAGAIN. If you can view a stack trace of the dumped core then you can see the system call() that actually set errno and zero in on the real problem.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.