Operating System - Linux
1748166 Members
3539 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Hard drives not detected during installation

John Burski

Hard drives not detected during installation

I'm attempting to install Novell SuSE Linux Enterprise Server 10 on an HP DL385 G6. The server has 8 SAS hard drives configured in two RAID-5 arrays using an HP Smart Array P410 controller.

The installer doesn't detect any hard drives during the installation process.

I've searched the forums and, while there were quite a few threads relating to the P410, I couldn't find a solution.

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
9 REPLIES 9
Tim Nelson
Honored Contributor

Just a shot in the dark here as I have no exp with Suse.

just as a test boot an RHEL or OEL (Oracle Enterprise Linux) image.

if they see the P410 then it is a Suse "lack of driver issue".

Chhaya_Z
Valued Contributor

Hi John,

The Minimum supported version of SLES on DL385 G6 is SLES 10 SP2.

Regards,
Chhaya

I am an HP employee.
Was this post useful? - You may click the KUDOS! star to say thank you.
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

> The installer doesn't detect any hard drives during the installation process.

Since you say the SmartArray controller is already configured, the problem must be that the driver cannot communicate with the controller.

Standard procedure:
Go to http://www.hp.com/go/support, select "Download drivers and software...", type in "Proliant DL385 G6" and press Enter.

Select your OS (either 64-bit or 32-bit version of SLES 10, as appropriate).

Then you should see a list of downloadable packages for your hardware + OS combination.

Go to category "Software - Driver Diskettes" and download the driver diskette package. This is designed to be used during the OS installation procedure, to allow the installer to use an updated driver that understands your SmartArray controller model.

On RHEL, the driver diskette package can be saved on an USB stick and used that way instead of a real diskette - probably SLES has something similar. See Novell's SLES installation documentation.

MK
MK
John Burski

I've downloaded the driver and related installation instructions. The instructions call for the creation of a diskette containing the driver (not a big deal - I've done that before). Unfortunately, the DL385 G6 doesn't have a floppy drive.

So, I gunzipped and copied the driver to a USB thumb drive and connected the USB thumb drive to the server. During the installation process I indicated that a driver would be loaded (F5) and started the installation. The installer asked me to select the installation media and the thumb drive was listed as an option, so I chose it. However, the installer responded by indicating that no new drivers where found.

So, I'm still looking for a solution.

I should also note that, while the server has a CD/DVD drive installed, the installation process doesn't work when I place either CD1 or the DVD in it. The graphical launcher doesn't start so it defaults to the "old style" installer. However, once the installation process starts, it doesn't recognize CD1 or the DVD as the installation media. I've had better luck connecting an external CD drive - the graphical installer works up to the point where drives are detected. Which brings us to where we are right now.

Once again, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Dirk Luebbers

We have exactly the same problem with a Proliant ML370 G6. Hard drives are already
configured, the SLES 10 installation doesn´t recognize the Raid Controller, We downloaded the driver floppy, during the installation with F5 you can chooses the driver on Floppy, but later the Controller is still unknown to SLES.
Anton1123
Occasional Visitor

DL160 G5 + p410 , I have the same problem.
Xen 5.6 does not see drives. Windows server 2008 r2 can see the drive, even allows to format it, but does not install. HP ACU can not detect the controller.
Still no solution?
Alzhy
Honored Contributor

SmartStart assisted install - have you tried?

Also has far as having no floppy -- have you tried using yor iLO's vmedia for your floppy needs?
Hakuna Matata.
Dirk Luebbers

In the meantime I figured out, what the problem is. On the SUSE Website you can download an ISO File named:
SLES-10-SP3-kISO-0_66_1-x86_64.iso

It includes a modified kernel, which can boot and detect the harddisks, The reason is a hang problem during installation due to problems with the QLogic NetXen ethernet adapters.

I installed a ML370 G6 with this ISO without porblems

The link is:
http://drivers.suse.com/qlogic/QLogic-NetXen/sle10-sp3/install-readme.html

best regards
Dirk Luebbers
John Burski

I've received several responses to this and I apologize for the delay in posting points and confirming what did and didn't work.

Novell SuSE Linux Enterprise Server 10 SP2 worked.

However, our needs changed after the installation was complete, so I ended up installing VMware ESXi 4.1 on the box and then installing the necessary operating systems.