1753548 Members
5448 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Help me please. How to rescue Tru64 v.5.1A

surapol

Help me please. How to rescue Tru64 v.5.1A

Hi.
I have a problem at Tru64 v.5.1A on AlphaServer DS10 , first problem .. can't to boot the system (when switch on power..the system show read only), I try to boot from CD Tru64 installation and disklabel (have.. install and config in floppydisk)for reinstall the system.When reinstall finish..I can't login (show username and password not correct)...How to do? , How to rescue them? , How to recovery? , How to get data back?...Please please please help me...Thank you for reply. surapole@hotmail.com
7 REPLIES 7
Balasubramanian S
Frequent Advisor

Re: Help me please. How to rescue Tru64 v.5.1A

Hello, boot the system in single user mode and change the "root" password and login to the system with new password.

Thanks, -Bala S
Frank Gessner
Frequent Advisor

boot into single user mode with
>>> b -fl 0 "yourdisk" for example dka0
# mount -u / (make boot rw)
# mount /usr
# mount /var
# passwd
# init 3 or Control D (continues to run Level 3)
login with root and your new password

regards, Frank
surapol

Thank you for reply...I try and report to you later...surapole@hotmail.com
surapol

Hi.
Report for I try to do follow Mr.Bala S and Mr.Frank solution...I can login to the login screen (failsafe session)with root and new password...but I can't see all application program and database for works...have only new folder for unix tru64...that Big problem!!!...everything loss...How I can do? , How to go back to the old system?...Please please please help me...Thank you for reply. surapole@hotmail.com
Balasubramanian S
Frequent Advisor

Hello, did you get a chance to reboot the system in multiuser mode after changing the "root" password? if not can you please reboot the system and see all the files are available or not.

Regards,
-Bala S
Frank Gessner
Frequent Advisor

Surapol,

you have installed a new OS from CD!
Therefore any application information is gone. If you have the DB-Data on other disks
it should be possible to rescue your system
if you have a valid backup like vdump of root,
usr & var Filesystems on tape, else you are lost.

Frank
surapol

Thank you for reply Mr.Bala S and Mr.Frank...I can't to reboot the system in multiuser mode...action required...check to the host name...I try to solve it.But I don't backup like vdump of root,usr & var Filesystems on tape, else I think are lost.How I can do to get the system back to the past before the system failure?...Please please please help me...Thank you for reply. surapole@hotmail.com