Operating System - HP-UX
1748185 Members
4319 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

How can I restore a system with the latest version of Ignite without the latest boot DVD?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Joe Profaizer
Super Advisor

How can I restore a system with the latest version of Ignite without the latest boot DVD?

I have created an ignite tape with the latest version as it may have corrected a problem with prior restore (Cloning an rx4640 to another rx4640). Anyway, I don't have the September 2008 v11.31 DVDs, but was able to download the latest ignite version. I don't expect the latest DVDs until next Thursday, but was wondering if there are any work-arounds? My March 2008 DVD will coincide for the restore with the ignite tape I'm trying to read from.

The current version of ignite is C.7.7.98 and March 2008's DVD release is C.7.5.142.

Thanks in advance!
8 REPLIES 8
Joe Profaizer
Super Advisor

Re: How can I restore a system with the latest version of Ignite without the latest boot DVD?

That should read:
My March 2008 DVD will NOT coincide for the restore with the ignite tape I'm trying to read from.

ERROR: The version of Ignite-UX on your tape (C.7.7.98) is
different than the

version of Ignite-UX on the media that the client booted
(C.7.5.142).

The versions must match in order to ensure correct behavior.

Continuing th
e installation with a tape version mismatch is likely
to cause
indeterminate prob
lems. Do you want to continue anyway? (y/[n]):
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

Re: How can I restore a system with the latest version of Ignite without the latest boot DVD?

Does this system not support booting directly from tape? Have you tried just booting from the Ignite tape?
Joe Profaizer
Super Advisor

I'm fairly sure Itaniums require to boot from DVD, then restore from tape.
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor
Solution

The newer Itanium do NOT have this requirement. I think the rx4640 should be new enough that there is a good chance of direct tape boot working.

From the Ignite/UX release notes here:

http://www.docs.hp.com/en/IUX/infolib.html#release_notes

Page 43 of the PDF file:

Section 2.16 Version C.6.8 (6/2006)

Direct tape boot for Itanium-based systems with firmware support Direct boot of Itanium-based systems from tape devices is introduced in Ignite-UX version C.6.8. Recovery tapes created by Ignite-UX now conform to the UEFI 2.0 boot tape standard as well as the ANSI Standard X 3.27 for tape labels.

The C.6.5 (12/2005) version of Ignite-UX included tape format changes to help enable direct tape boot for Itanium-based systems. However, changes just prior to acceptance of the UEFI 2.0 standard required changes to the Ignite-UX recovery tape format. Therefore, tapes created using Ignite-UX versions C.6.5 through C.6.7 continue to be supported for two-step recovery, but will not work for direct boot from tape devices.
In order to use direct boot from tape, you will need an Itanium-based system or firmware upgrade which supports direct tape boot. Direct tape boot may not be supported with some I/O interfaces. Some Itanium-based systems may never have firmware support for direct tape boot.

Itanium-based system boot tapes include significantly more files than those created for PA-RISC systems. Support for the two-step media recovery process continues. Use of two-step recovery requires use of HP-UX installation or custom boot media containing matching Ignite-UX version boot content.
Joe Profaizer
Super Advisor

I'll be damned. Thanks. I will give this a try and let you know the results.
Joe Profaizer
Super Advisor

I started the restore with the original C.7.5.142 version tape and chose:
Different HW = TRUE
Import VGs = FALSE

If this fails I will do a make_tape_recovery with C7.7.98, then try the clone.

Thanks for your help so far!
sujit kumar singh
Honored Contributor

Hi Joe,

Cannot say particuarly about the rx4640 never reqd booting an rx4640 using an ignite Tape, but the rx seriers of Servers that is the Itanium ones with the latest FW installed do support the Ignite boots.

Regards
Sujit
sujit kumar singh
Honored Contributor

Hi

please give a try to the advanced option of ignite OS install and also choose the Interactive Ignite install first.

Why do u choose a different hardware when you are sure that you are cloning using a tape from rx4640 to rx4640

Regards
sujit