3335 Online
108761 Solutions
New Discussion

How decompress a .Z compressed file in unix on rx2800i2

yannickli
Occasional Visitor

How decompress a .Z compressed file in unix on rx2800i2

hello,

I have a problem with the Hp Unix Modelscript of my printer.

the file is 'net_ljM401.Z' . After the download, I burned it on a cd rom and I tried to install it on the rx2800i2 unsuccessfully.

I also tried another way, to unzip with my laptop first  -> burning to cd rom and it's always impossible.

Do you know a way to uncompress in HP-UX with a natively program or another this kind of extansion?

Thanks by advance

P.S. This thread has been moved from Integrity Servers to HP-UX > sysadmin. -HP Forum Moderator

5 REPLIES 5
yannickli
Occasional Visitor

Re: How decompress a .Z compressed file in unix on rx2800i2

also, unix always add at the end of file ;1
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

>> unix always add at the end of file ;1

This is related to wrong mount options or wrong options set while burning.

Why not unpack on your PC and ftp the file to the server?

You can also try vMedia without burning a CD.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Michael Leu
Honored Contributor

FYI in case you manage to transfer the file to the HP-UX host then the right command for .Z files is simply called 'uncompress'. See 'man uncompress'.

Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

When burning CDs for HP-UX on Windows, you should know that there are two different ISO-9660 extension standards for long filenames on CD-ROMs.

Windows uses a standard called "Joliet", which provides Windows-style long filenames using 16-bit Unicode character set.

HP-UX does not support Joliet at all: if a disk has been prepared with Joliet standard long filenames, HP-UX will fall back to plain ISO-9660 style filenames: 8+3 US-ASCII characters, all upper case, and a file version number (usually ";1") appended to each filename.

When preparing a CD for HP-UX, you should instead tell your CD burning program to use a standard called "Rock Ridge": in addition to long filenames, it provides support for Unix-style file ownerships and permissions, symbolic links and other POSIX-compliant filesystem features. Unfortunately, Windows cannot use the Rock Ridge extension information, but it won't prevent CD burning programs from including it.

In general, it is possible to use both Joliet and Rock Ridge extensions on the same CD: that way, long filenames would be readable on both Windows and HP-UX systems. Unfortunately, most Windows CD burning programs don't do this by default, and some cannot do it at all.

MK
yannickli
Occasional Visitor

thank you very much!!

with ftp it's perfectly fonctionning..