Operating System - HP-UX
1752865 Members
4054 Online
108791 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: How to change to 'Location' information for printers?

SOLVED
Go to solution
SCHK
Frequent Advisor

How to change to 'Location' information for printers?

Hi, is it possible to edit the information in the 'Location' column as seen in the attached overview of printers and plotters?
Thanks.
4 REPLIES 4
Viktor Balogh
Honored Contributor

Hi,

That field is only applicable to remote printers, and as I see it you don't have any of it. For a network printer it's always set to "-" which means n.a.

Regards,
Viktor
Unix operates with beer.
SCHK
Frequent Advisor

Hi Viktor,

Thank you for your reply.

Oh, what a pity - I need to create quite a lot of new printers - and this field would be perfect for holding information on the actual printer location for documentary purposes.

Question: Is it perhaps possible to accomplish this in another way?

Thanks!
/Hans
Viktor Balogh
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi,

There is no comment field or something I know you could use for that matter. You should maintan a separate database for this purpose. Don't you have a CMDB (Configuration Management DataBase)? In the location column the server should be documented for the remote printers.

Regards,
Viktor
Unix operates with beer.
SCHK
Frequent Advisor

Hi again,
Yes, we have documentation systems, but I was looking for documention right on the Unix. On the old HP e3000, you would keep similar information in a file on the server named /SYS/PUB/NPCONFIG, with plenty of room for comments. I accept this is not so on hp-ux, and will act accordingly. Thanks for the clarification.