New Discussion юеВ

How to change /var/spool/sw depot path

SOLVED
Go to solution
mogiro
Regular Advisor

How to change /var/spool/sw depot path

Hi,
I want to create a depot folder in a server to store the depot files to be accessed from another servers by swinstall. How can I do that?
Thans in advance
4 REPLIES 4
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

Re: How to change /var/spool/sw depot path

The directory /var/spool/sw is useless to another server. This directory contains the history of software installed on the local system. If you were to use this same data on another system, perhaps to save some space, it would be quite likely serious problems would occur when running swinstall on the remote systems.

If you are trying to save disk space, use the cleanup command to reduce the number of superseded patches (man cleanup). If you are trying to make software bundles available to other systems for installation, use the swcopy on your local system to create a composite bundle. The use swreg on the local system to make this bundle visible to all other HP-UX systems (no NFS required or recommended).

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

This is a duplicate of the following thread. Please reply in the following link:
http://forums.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1196935

>Bill: The directory /var/spool/sw is useless to another server. This directory contains the history of software installed on the local system.

Are you sure about that? I don't have that on several systems. Others only have another copy of swagent.log.
The IPD is under /var/adm/sw/products/.
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

You can copy the software to /var/spool/sw or any other directory with swcopy. You only need to swreg this depot.

/var/spool/sw is simply the default.

If you run swinstall without other specific options, the system will search in this directory.

I guess Bill mixed up
/var/spool/sw
and
/var/adm/sw

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

Yep, you're correct, I was thinking /var/adm/sw whish unique to each system. /var/spool/sw is a common place for depots. To share the depots, just use swreg to allow all clients to see the packages.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin