4965 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: How to check the redhat complete version

gab_in
Regular Advisor

How to check the redhat complete version

Hi,

How can I check whether the REDHAT linux system is running "Redhat Linux V4 update 6" or the redhat OS CDs have the same OS.

Thanks in advance
HU
8 REPLIES 8
Alexander Chuzhoy
Honored Contributor

run this command:
cat /etc/redhat-release
gab_in
Regular Advisor

[root@amd admin]# cat /etc/redhat-release
Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS release 4 (Nahant)
[root@amdadmin]#

It is not showing the "update 6".Pls tell me how to check that in the running system as well as OS CDs.

Thanks for the response.

Stuart Browne
Honored Contributor

The '/etc/redhat-release' file is distributed in the 'redhat-release' package, along with some other things (like '/etc/issue' and some RedHat Network configurations).

Assuming your machine is fully up-to-date (and not just selectivly), then this file should have also been updated.

An update-6 machine will also have a 2.6.9-67 or so kernel.

As you can update just parts of a RHEL system, it can be confusing what update you are actually running on. Checking the output of an 'up2date -l' is the best way to see how far behind you are in updates.
One long-haired git at your service...
Alexander Chuzhoy
Honored Contributor

If the update version doesn't appear in the "/etc/redhat-release" file - then the update operation wasn't full/right, even if everything else was updated. This is just wrong (same as not assigning points in this forum).
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

If a RHEL 4 ES system is properly up to date, it should say:

$ cat /etc/redhat-release
Red Hat Enterprise Linux ES release 4 (Nahant Update 6)

If it does not say "Update X" at the end, it is effectively "Update 0" - that means it's installed using the original distribution CDs and probably never updated after the installation.

If you have even one valid RHEL4 license/subscription, you can download the .iso images of the latest RHEL4 Update level from rhn.redhat.com.

If you're installing RHEL4 to modern servers, I definitely recommend downloading a new CD set for installation.
Advantages:

1.) If you install using "Update 0" CDs, you'll have to download a *huge* set of updates to get the system up to date.

2.) Some modern servers, particularly dual-core Opterons, are officially supported by RedHat only at Update level 2 and above. These systems are known to be unstable at Update level 1 and below.

MK22
MK
gab_in
Regular Advisor

Thanks for the response. I have Redhat license/subscription and login. But I am not able to find out the link in the site to download the ISO images for update 6. Can u pls help me on this?

Thanks
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

Login to rhn.redhat.com.

Click "Software Downloads" at the left.

Click the "view the complete list of software channels with ISO downloads" if you don't see the version you want.

Click on Red Hat Enterprise Linux v4.

You will see the ISO images for "Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS 4.6 (x86)"

BTW, 4.6 means version 4 update 6.

Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

And also HU, I see in your profile:

"I have assigned points to 7 of 68 responses to my questions."

http://forums12.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/publicProfile.do?userId=CA1487283&forumId=1

Please keep asigning points. It's a good way to thank for the support. for more information see:

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/helptips.do?#28
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?