108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: How to check the status of fbackup

SOLVED
Go to solution
Waqar Razi
Regular Advisor

How to check the status of fbackup

We have a script to do filesystem backup of a 10.20 server using fbackup. Is there any way to verify if the backup is successful?

Any help in this regard will be highly appreciated.
5 REPLIES 5
Adam W.
Valued Contributor

See /var/sam/log/br_log for details.
There are two types of people in the world, Marines and those who wish they were.
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

Hi Wagar:

Like all good utilities, 'fbackup' will return a return code as ($? in you script) telling you the status of the run:

0 = successful
1 = interrupted but possibly with restart information
2 = errors occured
4 = warnings occured (e.g. file in use, etc.)

If you run your 'fbackup' with the 'v' switch, and redirect the session messages to a file, you can also parse this file when there are warnings (for example) to determine what further action you might want to take.

See the 'fbackup' manpages for more information.

Regards!

...JRF...
Sivarama Raju
Frequent Advisor

Hi Friends,

I want to check the current backups status of fbackup. Can you please let me know the command which will display the current backup status?

I mean, in HPDP we have omnistat which will let us know what are the backup sessions which are in progress right now. Is there a similar fbackup command?

Thanks in advance.
Siva

>> I mean, in HPDP we have omnistat which will let us know what are the backup sessions which are in progress right now. Is there a similar fbackup command?

What you mean apart from "ps -ef | frep [f]backup" ??

No not really... if you know where the script is writing out the log that fbackup (might) produce, I guess you could tail that log, otherwise no...

Obviously Data Protector is a full enterprise backup tool that you pay $$$ for, whereas fbackup is a reasonably basic OS utility - I guess you get what you pay for...

HTH

Duncan

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo
Johnson Punniyalingam
Honored Contributor

fbackup -> its OS backup uility, like tar

man fbackup -> more information can be found

redirecting the fbackup in your own script / logs also possible we can verify backup is sucessfull based on the syntex / retun code from man fbackup which also mention above post
Problems are common to all, but attitude makes the difference