Operating System - HP-UX
1748250 Members
3543 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: How to clear detached device information using fcmsutil?

stephen peng
Valued Contributor

How to clear detached device information using fcmsutil?

Guys,

Recently I detached a tape library connected on the switch, and I get syslog from the box:

Apr  7 16:45:01 ompj vmunix: 0/2/1/0: 'World-wide name' (unique identifier) for device at nport ID 0x10f00 has
Apr  7 16:45:01 ompj vmunix: changed. If the device has been replaced intentionally, please use the
Apr  7 16:45:01 ompj vmunix: fcmsutil(1M) command's replace_dsk option to allow the new device to be used.
Apr  7 16:45:01 ompj vmunix: 0/2/1/0: Fibre Channel Driver detected a parse error in the FLOGI/PLOGI response
Apr  7 16:45:01 ompj vmunix: returned by nport ID 0x10f00. FLOGI/PLOGI Fail Code = 0x6.

and event.log told:

Summary:
     Adapter at hardware path 0/2/1/0 : Unable to open previously opened target

Description of Error:

lbolt value: 789267253

Unable to access previously accessed target
   nport ID  =  0x11300

It seemed that I need to clear the library configuration from fibre environment, and I know that fcmsutil has such function, but I don't know how. Could some one please explain fcmsutil to me?

Regards

Stephen

2 REPLIES 2
mvpel
Trusted Contributor

The /opt/fcms/bin/tdlist command will show you a list of FC devices - you'll see something like /dev/td0, /dev/td1 corresponding to each of your FC adapters. You'd be looking for the path there that corresponds to the 0/2/1/0 hardware path.

The replace_dsk command would go something like this:

fcmsutil /dev/td0 replace_dsk 0x10f00

What's sort of odd here, though, is that you're saying that the device is detached, but the driver seems to be detecting a device with a WWN at that nport ID, indicating that a new device has been put in.

If you really did detach the device and not replace it with anything else, then you may be looking for "rmsf" - remove special files. It's the opposite of "insf." I'm not sure how that interacts with fcms, but it may be worth a try.

In your "ioscan -fn" output you should see an entry (or two, or few) showing NO_HW where the tape library used to be, at 0/2/1/0. So the rmsf command would be:

rmsf -H 0/2/1/0

Make sure you double-check this with "ioscan -fn" ahead of time, though. Don't rmsf a CLAIMED device. This will remove /dev files for that hardware path, which may be enough to get FCMS to stop looking for it - it should not show up as NO_HW in ioscan anymore, nor in "tdlist", I expect.

Ozer YUMSEK
Occasional Advisor

My advice is

#rmsf -x

Removes all detached devices.