New Discussion юеВ

How to configure HBA in Red Hat?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Jorge Fabregas
Regular Advisor

How to configure HBA in Red Hat?

Hello guys,

I have configured some HBA's in HP-UX in the past. It was a matter of installing the driver depot and then performed an ioscan. Then I could see the devices.

I'm not clear how to proceed in Red Hat. It's a qlogic. I got the driver from HP site (it's a blade server) but after installing the rpm I don't see any new device files in /dev/*. I still need to check with the guy working on the SAN (to see if I already have LUN's assigned).

Is there any document for this. Could you please point me to the right direction.

Thanks!
Jorge
6 REPLIES 6
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor

Re: How to configure HBA in Red Hat?

Hi Jorge,

After your server has booted up take a look at the output of dmesg. That should allow you to see what devices are assigned to the SAN disks - probably /dev/sda for the first LUN.

As you've installed the HP drivers, you should also get a couple of commands, lssd to list scsi disks, and lssg to list generic scsi devices.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Rob
Jean-Yves Picard
Trusted Contributor

Hello,

you'll need to:
-install Qlogic driver (I understand you've done it)
-reboot

If you are are using zoning (SAN folks will told you), you must be declared in a SAN zone.

You must be declared on storage also and allowed to access a LUN (Logical Unit e.g. a disk in storage)

Depending on you hardware, you may need to activate QLogic Card (I had to do it on my first proliant), this is done from bios level, just after POST.

Jean-Yves

--
to picture the double declaration:
Zoning is like motorway, you have to pay to use motorway (well in some countries)
Storage is like car park, you have to pay to park you car (in most country)
Jorge Fabregas
Regular Advisor

Thanks Rob & Jean-Yves. That helps a lot. I now know my way thru it.

One final question: If I have 2 HBA's...will I see a LUN assigned to me as 2 device files? Or would I see one (and then I need to configure Multipath...)?

Thanks!
Jorge
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi,

The HP drivers are MultiPath aware, so you should hopefully only see one disk device per LUN.

However the failover option needs to be turned on... You can do this at installation time or later with the setparms script I think... You should have a README in the package which explains things...

Cheers,

Rob
Jorge Fabregas
Regular Advisor

Thank you guys!
dirk dierickx
Honored Contributor

i just want to add that with RH you should get qlogic HBA support out of the box without installing extra packages.

i use the ones supplied by RH and they work great.