Operating System - HP-UX
1752780 Members
6157 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: How to configure an 9000/715 workstation to behave like an XDMCP X-Terminal ?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Martin Schark
Frequent Advisor

How to configure an 9000/715 workstation to behave like an XDMCP X-Terminal ?

Hi colleges,

I tried hard to change to standard configuration of an HP-UX 9000/715 workstation
to give it the role of an X-Terminal. The maschine should do an XDMCP Broadcast,
offer a list of answers (including the maschine itself) and connect as an X-client to
the maschine of my choice. I am using the CDE environment. Is there anybody out
there having this thing seen running ?

Regards,
Martin Schark
mailto:mschark@gmx.net
7 REPLIES 7
Alex Glennie
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: How to configure an 9000/715 workstation to behave like an XDMCP X-Terminal ?

Alex Glennie
Honored Contributor

ps if it's configured as an xterminal, you'd need to disable dtlogin in which case it would list others hosts running xdmcp on your network but not itself ?
Martin Schark
Frequent Advisor

Thanks so fare !
This is exactly the problem ! How to run dtlogin and the X server on one
maschine in parallel but independent ? In the documentation I know about
it does not say that this is impossible. Any idea ?
Alex Glennie
Honored Contributor

I've never heard anyone do this that does not mean to say it can't be done ... the first thing i'd look at is that /usr/dt/config/Xservers,
the Local Locale@console may need to be commented out. This tells the xserver to start locally, which if dtlogin is also running means we will get CDE on the local box only.

Have you tried not disabling dtlogin but doing this ?
Martin Schark
Frequent Advisor

Yes, but at max I got an empty chooser.
Alex Glennie
Honored Contributor

there have been some problems with dtchooser in the past, certainly at 10.20 : my advise is to :

1) install latest CDE , Xserver and 3D graphics runtime patch PHSS_21792 (10.20),

2) setup a fontserver else where on the network & on an HP system with CDE installed and point the local 715/xterminal to use it and report back on the contents of the chooser window now ? Is /var/dt/Xerrors or X0.log got any clues ?
Alex Glennie
Honored Contributor

there have been some problems with dtchooser in the past, certainly at 10.20 : my advise is to :

1) install latest CDE , Xserver and 3D graphics runtime patch PHSS_21792 (10.20),

2) setup a fontserver else where on the network & on an HP system with CDE installed and point the local 715/xterminal to use it and report back on the contents of the chooser window now ? Is /var/dt/Xerrors or X0.log got any clues ?