Operating System - HP-UX
1753404 Members
7003 Online
108793 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

How to create a .depot file from an exisitng depot?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Tony Williams
Regular Advisor

How to create a .depot file from an exisitng depot?

I need to get RSP installed on several remote HP-UX servers. I have a local depot created but the install took 3 hours over the network. Is there a way to copy my existing depot to a depot file that I can copy to the remote servers and install the software locally?
18 REPLIES 18
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: How to create a .depot file from an exisitng depot?

Hi Tony:

A valid SD depot file can simply be copied ('rc', 'scp', FTP) to another server and the installation performed there.

Regards!

...JRF...
Tony Williams
Regular Advisor

Hi James,

Thanks for the info but what I have is a several applications in a directory that is registered as a depot:

swlist -d @ /depot/Diagnostics
# Initializing...
# Contacting target "idns2"...
#
# Target:
/depot/Diagnostics
#

#
# Bundle(s):
#

EventMonitoring A.04.20.23.04 Event Monitoring Service
OnlineDiag B.11.23.13.03 HPUX 11.23 Support Tools Bundle, September 2009
OpenSSL A.00.09.07l.007 Secure Network Communications Protocol
SysMgmtBASE B.00.02.03.03 SysMgmtBASE
SysMgmtWeb A.3.0.1.1 HP-UX Web Based System Management User Interfaces
WBEMSvcs A.02.07.04 HP WBEM Services for HP-UX
hpuxwsApache B.2.0.59.07.03 HP-UX Apache-based Web Server
hpuxwsTomcat B.5.5.27.01.01 HP-UX Tomcat-based Servlet Engine
hpuxwsWebmin A.1.070.10 HP-UX Webmin-based Admin

Can I tar the directory and copy it tothe remote server and register it on the remote server?
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi Tony,

>>Can I tar the directory and copy it to the remote server and register it on the remote server?

Yes.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Steven E. Protter
Exalted Contributor

Shalom,

The file copy is going to take a long time, assuming the RSP depot is big and thats why the installation took a long time.

On the target system, you might want to check that DNS name resolution is working properly, because a named install from an NFS share is going to look up the name many times.

scp, ftp, rcp, and doing the install locally will as you want bypass the problem. Detecting the actual cause of the problem might be somewhat useful.

SEP
Steven E Protter
Owner of ISN Corporation
http://isnamerica.com
http://hpuxconsulting.com
Sponsor: http://hpux.ws
Twitter: http://twitter.com/hpuxlinux
Founder http://newdatacloud.com
Tony Williams
Regular Advisor

Thansk Steven,

I'll give it a second look. I assume its because its a fractional T1 line running at 128 Kb, but its probably worth looking to see what's limiting bandwidth.
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi (again):

There is no need to register ('swreg') your copied depot unless you wish to utilize it over the network; and you said that was not your objective.

Regards!

...JRF...
Tim Nelson
Honored Contributor

If DNS is not causing your issue then I would second the motion to simply tar and gzip the depot .

ftp it to your server

gunzip / untar

swinstall

( as mentioned there is no need to register it. swreg is only needed if you are creating a respository on one server to server other servers. )

I would bet $1 that by the time you get all this done you would have spent the same amount of time, barring the mentioned DNS possibility )

Other options: These packages should all be on one of the Core DVDs or application DVDs, order or make copies, ship via fedex.. ?
Tony Williams
Regular Advisor

The directory was 250 MB I tar'd it and gzipped down to 125 MB. I used scp to copy it over the network locally (GBe) and it took 17 seconds. I scp'd it over the remote network and it took 17 minutes, the install took another 10 minutes. The swinstall over the remote network took 1 hour 20 minutes, so I saved 50 minutes of work time and 63 minutes of network congestion. I have to do this about 30 more times so this is awesome.

Thanks everyone for all of the suggestions.
Bob E Campbell
Honored Contributor
Solution

I would either use swcopy(1m) to copy or swpackage(1m) to create a depot file. The command for the latter is given as an example on the man page:

swpackage -s /var/spool/sw -x media_type=tape @ /dev/rmt/0m

Replace that tape device with a file that is *not* a tape device and you are good to go.