1752511 Members
5060 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

How to create an ignite tape from specific drives

frederick hannah
Super Advisor

How to create an ignite tape from specific drives

Our configuration is that we have san-attached os disks, but also have the original os internal drives on the server. The local disks are retained if something happens to the san and the server needs to be rebooted to a minimal os. I created an ignite tape (make_tape_recovery -I -x inc_entire=vg00) to boot a DR server, but the ignition process failed with an fatal configuration. The DR server has the standard local os disks, and is not attached to the SAN. My guess is the ignite tape created an image of the SAN-based disks and the DR server doesnt have that hardware configuration so it failed. Is there a way to create an ignite tape that can be "directed" copy the os image of an internal boot disk, even though the local server is booted off the SAN. My system is rp7400/11.i
5 REPLIES 5
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: How to create an ignite tape from specific drives

HI Frederick:

The 'make_tape_recovery' command supports '-x inc_entire=/dev/dsk/name|vg_name'. See the manpages for more details.

That said, you say the "ignition process failed with a fatal configuration". Did you specify an "Advanced Installation" when you Ignited and set "cloning to different hardware=yes". If not, I think that this would cause your failure.

Regards!

...JRF...

sujit kumar singh
Honored Contributor

it will be helpful ifu can give the #ioscan -fn #ioscan -fnCdisk and vgdisplay -v O/ps for the both the server.

#make_tape_recovery -v -x inc_entire=vg00 /dev/rmt/0mn is the basic command that will include whole of the vg VG00.

#make_tape_recovery -v -x inc_entire=vg00 -x inc_entire=/dev/dsk/c0t1d0 --- this shall ibclude both entire VG00 and also contents of the disk as /dev/dsk/c0t1d0.

u can take ignite and restore Ignite etc Immaterial the OS disks are local or on the SAN unless and until u can identify the disks properly at taking and restoring ignite archive.

Javed Khan_1
Valued Contributor

Hi,

you can go for ignite golden image

Javed
Never Give Up
Ricardo Soto

Restoring this Ignite archive to an internal disk shouldn't be a problem, since one is allowed to specify the target disk when installing the image from the itool interface. The problem is when you are trying to restore more than one volume group, so it's recommended to specify one.

It will be useful to see the fatal error message.

Johnson Punniyalingam
Honored Contributor

Hi Frederick,

>>>> I created an ignite tape (make_tape_recovery -I -x inc_entire=vg00) to boot a DR server,<<<<

>>the ignition process failed with an fatal configuration<<

what fatal error message..?

>>The DR server has the standard local os disks, and is not attached to the SAN. My guess is the ignite tape created an image of the SAN-based disks and the DR server doesnt have that hardware configuration<<

Could be unless you boot disk is from "SAN disk" which you performed the Ignite backup

Thanks,
Johnson

Problems are common to all, but attitude makes the difference