Operating System - HP-UX
1752604 Members
4590 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: How to decrease logical volume on HP-UX?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Chris2005
Regular Advisor

I have got another diskcabinet which I could attach to do system to gain more disk space. The only problem is I don't have a SCSI cable for that. I've contacted HP so now I'm waiting on their reply.

Thanx for you help.
Chris2005
Regular Advisor

I have got another diskcabinet which I could attach to the system to gain more disk space. The only problem is I don't have a SCSI cable for that. I've contacted HP so now I'm waiting on their reply.

Thanx for you help.
Chris2005
Regular Advisor

Actually it's not the root filesystem I need to reduce, but /opt. I made mistake about that.

Is it possible to reduce /opt in single mode without using Ignite or OnlineJFS?
OldSchool
Honored Contributor

you can re-size /opt in single user mode. note all of the warning about backup, resize, then restore (from above) still apply
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

The only file systems you cannot increase or reduce are / and /stand. You can reduce /opt in single user mode. HOWEVER: you must remove the data because it will be destroyed. You must backup /opt (twice if this server is important), then boot into single user mode. /opt will not be mounted so you just use lvreduce to change the lvol to size you want. Run newfs to recreate the directory structure and then restore /opt from your backup tape.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
RED-Dragon
Occasional Visitor

Hi Sundar,

We want to reduce lvol13 which is currently 1700GB, but there is another mount lvol14 point which is under this mount point lvol13. Now can we follow your solution?

/dev/vgvedas/lvol13
                   1782579200 542028352 1234416248   31% /CDBLprodrun
/dev/vgvedas/lvol14
                   102400000 60213192 41866424   59% /CDBLprodrun/dat

Thanks.

Tanjil

Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>there is another mount lvol14 point which is under this mount point lvol13

You should be able to umount /CDBLprodrun/data and mount it elsewhere.  Or remount it later.