Operating System - Linux
1751765 Members
4818 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

How to find what are the files chagned / updated after patch update in redhat and suse linux

SOLVED
Go to solution
senthil_kumar_1
Super Advisor

How to find what are the files chagned / updated after patch update in redhat and suse linux

Hi All,

I would like to see the files changed / updated after updating the latest patches in redhat and suse linux.

5 REPLIES 5
Andras Ordogh
Valued Contributor

Re: How to find what are the files chagned / updated after patch update in redhat and suse linux

hello,

what kind of patch?
if you patch a program maybe try to check version (program -V or --help, and find Version options)
you can also check hte file stamps of patched files.

andras
Alzhy
Honored Contributor

Re: How to find what are the files chagned / updated after patch update in redhat and suse linux

Check /var/log/yum.log

Then do a: rpm -ql reported as having been installe in /var/log/yum.log

But foolproof way of monioring changes to your OS/System bits -- TripWire your system.
Hakuna Matata.
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor
Solution

AIDE is a tripwire like tool that can give you an idea of what has changed on your system if you don't like the rpm database.
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
Tim Nelson
Honored Contributor

a quick trick is to alias the rpm to include the install date.

alias rpm='rpm --queryformat "%{NAME}-%{VERSION}-%{RELEASE} (%{ARCH}) --%{INSTALLTIME:date}\n"'
senthil_kumar_1
Super Advisor

Hi Ivan Ferreira,

I have installed the aide in rhel5 through yum.

How to install the aide in suse linux (sles10). I am not able to find through rug.

Hi Tim Nelson,

I have some questions:

1)What is the purpose of your command "alias rpm='rpm --queryformat "%{NAME}-%{VERSION}-%{RELEASE} (%{ARCH}) --%{INSTALLTIME:date}\n"'"

2)Where we have to add this entry.

3)Will it be useful when we are quering installed rpm list using "rpm -qa"?

4)Please explain more