Operating System - HP-UX
1753501 Members
4867 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: How to identify defekt disk when server doesn't boot?

ErikGregg
Regular Visitor

How to identify defekt disk when server doesn't boot?

Hello,

we have a rp7410 server with 2 disks concatenated in a volume group. The server doesn't boot any more because one of the disk has failed. Fortunately the server has sent an email with an event notification a few days before, I know which disk has to be changed.

My question is: If there would be no email, how could I identify the failed disk if the server doesn't boot anymore? If everything I have is the service processor, is it possible to get a detailed information about the failure like in the event notification mail?

Cheers

2 REPLIES 2
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Usually you have a mirrored boot disk, so you can still boot if one of them has failed. If you don't have a mirror and the boot disk is bad, you can boot a recovery shell to get the status of the disk.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
mvpel
Trusted Contributor

The boot section of the disk is created when the pvcreate command is run with the "-B" option - this sets aside some space at sector 0 for the LIF volume, which contains the "HPUX" boot file which the ISL (initial system loader) reads and executes while the system is booting.

I've found that it's probably not a bad idea to run a "lifls" on the boot disks (/dev/rdsk/c0t0d0) once in a while, to make sure that the LIF volume is still intact - it's a bad thing to find out that your OS mirror disk has a trashed LIF when the other mirror has already failed. The LIF volume can be recreated using the "mkboot" command if needed.