New Discussion юеВ

Re: How to increase the number of inodes on rhel 3

SOLVED
Go to solution
Silju
Advisor

How to increase the number of inodes on rhel 3

Hello,

How to increase the number of inodes in a ext3 filesystem without recreating the fileystem. inode usage in one of my application fileystem is 100%. Given below is the system detail

Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS release 3 (Taroon Update 9)
kernel version: 2.4.21-40.ELsmp #1 SMP Thu Feb 2 22:14:12 EST 2006 i686 athlon i386 GNU/Linux

Thanks
Silju
Technology to empower all
3 REPLIES 3
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor
Solution

Sorry Silju, there is no other option than re-create the file system to increase the number of inodes. Maybe you can create a new file system and redirect/soft link your application to this new file system to minimize downtime.
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

The ratio of inodes per unit of disk space is set at filesystem creation time and cannot be changed without recreating the filesystem.

Extending the filesystem will also cause new inodes to be created, so that the original ratio is maintained. So if you can extend the filesystem, it can act as a short-term workaround.

The filesystem apparently contains a large number of tiny files. If this is normal for this particular filesystem, start planning for a scheduled maintenance break for re-creating this filesystem with a new bytes-per-inode ratio.

MK
MK
Silju
Advisor

Thanks to you both
Technology to empower all