108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: How to install TOP on Tru64?

SOLVED
Go to solution
ericfjchen
Regular Advisor

How to install TOP on Tru64?

Where can I download TOP utility for Tru64 5.1B? How to install it?

Thanks

Eric
6 REPLIES 6
Michael Schulte zur Sur
Honored Contributor

Hi,

it should be on the open source collection cd.

greetings,

Michael
Ravi_8
Honored Contributor

Hi,

It must be in one of the product support media, otherwise it's available free for download (need tosearch in web).

Install using command
#setld -l
never give up
Paul_504
Frequent Advisor

There's an Open Source CD that comes with the Tru64 V5.1B package. TOP should be on CD-1.

It's an RPM Package, so before you install it, you have to first run the RPM-init.ksh script in the SETUP directory on the CD. This script installs the RPM utility, usually in the /usr/local/bin directory. Add this directory to your PATH environment variable and re-init your shell:

# . ./.profile

Once done, move to the RPMS/alpha directory on the CD and use the following to install:

# rpm -ivh

During an intallation we usually do 4 rpm packages, where of the first is always texinfo. This is needed by the rpm utility if I'm not mistaken.

There after you can do top, monitor is also a nice one, and then of course the bash shell if some people at your site use this.

Hope this helps. If you haven't got the CD, the link to the rpm package on the internet is as follow:

http://h30097.www3.hp.com/demos/ossc/RPMS/alpha/

The RPM-init.ksh script can be found at the following URL. You'll just have to create a file called RPM-init.ksh, copy and paste it in, and give it executable permissions.

ericfjchen
Regular Advisor

I got a freeware "top-3.5beta9". It contains many *.c....how to compile it?
Michael Schulte zur Sur
Honored Contributor

Hi,

usually there is a readme file.

greetings,

Michael
Paul_504
Frequent Advisor
Solution

Hi Eric

Did the top package come in a .tar.gz format?? If so, when you untarred it etc. did it create a directory of its own?

Within this directory, there is usually a readme file yes. This file will either contain installation information, and if not, have a look and see whether there's a Makefile within the directory.

If so, you'll most probably use the make, make test, make install commands to compile and install the product. These commands you'll run from within the directory.

Consider the options of the URLs I gave earlier. The top package is 184kb or something, and the RPM-init.ksh file is a quick highlight of the webpage, copy, then make a file on your system using:

#vi RPM-init.ksh

Paste the webpage contents in, and run:

#chmod 744 RPM-init.ksh

on the file. All that's left then is to run it. FTP the top package over, and use the commands supplied earlier.