Operating System - HP-UX
1751978 Members
4537 Online
108784 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: How to install and confgiure the printer in HP-UX 10.20 if the network printer in installed in Suse

SOLVED
Go to solution
senthil_kumar_1
Super Advisor

How to install and confgiure the printer in HP-UX 10.20 if the network printer in installed in Suse

Hi All,

I am new to HP-UX printer setup.

Actually I have installed the network printer in Suse Linux.

Now I would like to configure this printer as remote printer in HP-UX 10.20.

Is it possible?

How we can do?
17 REPLIES 17
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: How to install and confgiure the printer in HP-UX 10.20 if the network printer in installed in Suse

What type of printer is it?
If it is a network printer, why would you want to install it as remote?
Does Linux allow you to do something fancier than HP-UX?
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

Is it truly a network printer? Does it have a JetDirect network card connecting it to the Lan? If so, check to see if your 10.20 system has the Printer Installer software installed by looking for the "hppi" command. In my 11.11 systems, the command is located in /opt/hpnpl/bin/hppi. If you can find hppi, then you can install the printer as a network printer with the command:

/opt/hpnpl/bin/addqueue -h $IP -q $PRNTR -b off

where $IP is the ip address of the printer and $PRNTR is the queue name it is to be known by on the 10.20 system.

Pete

Pete
senthil_kumar_1
Super Advisor

Hi All,

It is jet direct printer, but in my HP-UX 10.20 the file "/opt/hpnpl/bin/hppi" is not available.

I think HP JetDirect software is not installed on my HP-UX 10.20.

where I can get HP JetDirect software for HP-UX 10.20 and 11.11 from?

Other wise please let me know how to configure the printer installed in suse as remoter printer in HP-UX.

And please let me know what are difficulties in that?
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

JetDirect software is available here:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DriverDownload.jsp?тМй=en&cc=us&pnameOID=18922&taskId=135&prodTypeId=18972&prodSeriesId=27349тМй=en&cc=us

Unfortunately, all that is available is the 11.x version.

For your 10.20 machine you will have to add as a remote printer, just as you originally asked. The simplest way to do this is to use SAM > Printers and Plotters > LP Spooler > Printers and Plotters > Actions > Add Remote Printer/Plotter. Fill in the blanks with the local printer name, the name of the Linux box it's connected to, the name it's know by on the linux box, take defaults for the rest and hit "OK".

Pete

Pete
senthil_kumar_1
Super Advisor

Hi Pete Randall,

I am not able to download the file from mentioned link.
senthil_kumar_1
Super Advisor

I have some question about configuring network printer in suse and remote printer hpux.

1)What is the procedure to configure network printer in suse?

2)What are the daemons to be started to share that printer in HP-UX?

3)What data I have to give while configuring remote printer through SAM in hp-ux 10.20

Printer Name
├в ┬в Remote System Name
├в ┬в Remote Printer Name
├в ┬в Whether Remote Printer is on a BSD system
├в ┬в Remote Cancel Name
├в ┬в Remote Status Name
├в ┬в Default Request Priority

4)After configuring remote printer how I can verify that it is working fine.

5)How to find what details were given for the printer already installed as remote printer in hp-ux 10.20?

For example:

I have already installed one printer.

#lpstat -a
emdhq228 accepting requests since Jan 4 10:25

Now I would like to see following details given for this printer.

Printer Name
├в ┬в Remote System Name
├в ┬в Remote Printer Name
├в ┬в Whether Remote Printer is on a BSD system
├в ┬в Remote Cancel Name
├в ┬в Remote Status Name
├в ┬в Default Request Priority
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

Senthil,

I just tried it again by clicking on the link, then clicking on HP-UX 11.X under "select operating system", then clicking on the "download" button on the next page.

Pete

Pete
senthil_kumar_1
Super Advisor

Hi Pete Randall,

I am getting the error that "page not found" after clicked "download" button.
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

Are you registered? If not, click the "Create a personal product profile" link at the top of the download page and fill out your registration form.

Pete

Pete