Operating System - Tru64 Unix
1752405 Members
5866 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: How to install jdk on Digital UNIX V4.0F?

SOLVED
Go to solution
aliali
Occasional Advisor

How to install jdk on Digital UNIX V4.0F?

I am a newbie to Digital Unix. While I trying to find the answer via google, most hitted links lead me to hp.com.

1)What is the relationship between dec and hp?
2)Which company does digital unix belong to?
3)What is the difference between digital unix and tru65 unix?
4)where to find and how to install the jdk for digital unix v4.0F?

Thanks in advance
Hilton Yang
11 REPLIES 11
Michael Schulte zur Sur
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi Hilton,

1: Once there was DEC, Digital Equipment Corporation, which was bought by Compaq, which was bought now by HP.
2: HP
3: The name changed from Digital Unix to Tru64 Unix with the release 4.0F.
4. The java development kit is on the operating system cd and normally installed with the operating.

greetings,

Michael
aliali
Occasional Advisor

Thanks very much for your kind reponse!

Would you please tell me wether I can download the latest verion of SDK for Tru64 Unix from hp.com and install it on a Digital Unix platform?

Hilton Yang
aliali
Occasional Advisor

Hi Michael;

Thanks for your kind response.

I still have another question. I can not find links to jdk for digital unix or Tru64 unix on the HP.com. Does it mean that I can not use a new jre, for example version 1.4.2, on digital unix until I buy another new HP unix? Is it possible for me to find a download link of jdk 1.4 for my digital unix?

Regards
Hilton Yang
Michael Schulte zur Sur
Honored Contributor

Hi Yang,

look here:
http://h18012.www1.hp.com/java/download/index.html
and you should find, what your heart desires ;-)).

greetings,

Michael
Michael Schulte zur Sur
Honored Contributor

Oops, sorry meant to say Hilton, thats your first name, right?

greetings,

Michael
aliali
Occasional Advisor

Hi Michael;

Thanks very much for your kind responses!

I lost again and again in the HP.com till your reponses came to me. I really am pazzeled by that there is not a link for the digital unix/tru64 on the main pages of HP.com. Are not they important?

Thanks again.

Hilton Yang
P.S, you are right, "hilton" is my first name, and Yang is sir name.
Michael Schulte zur Sur
Honored Contributor

Hi Hilton,

Tru64 Unix is important to HP, thats why they will incorporate some of the good features into HP-UX, which it is missing yet. To find Tru64 Unix, look for Compaq Alphaserver and on this site under Compaq products. The forum leader Ralf Puchner is a fast and well informed HP employee. If you are looking for something, come here and post again.

greetings,

Michael

ps:Also, when you post and get good answers, it is good custom and also cheap to assign points according to how much the poster helped you. Of course it is allways a joy to the point level grow not to mention the hats you get over time. ;-)
Ralf Puchner
Honored Contributor

Hello Michael,

thanks for the "advertising" ;-)

Hello Hilton,

more information can be found on http://www.tru64unix.compaq.com which will you redirect as fast as possible to the Tru64 informations and software (like jre etc.).

The current supported versions are 5.1A and at the end 5.1B. There are 2 additional updates named 5.1B-1 and 5.1B-2 following next year. After that versions Tru64 will be retired and the support ends 2011 (or earlier depending on the installed Alpha base).

The Alpha plattform will be suspended in 2006, and refurbished spare parts are available until 2011.

HPUX on Itanium will get the TruCluster and ADVFS technologie and some admin parts of it. Have a look into the roadmap details on www.tru64.org

The actual jre kit for 4.0f can be found on http://h18012.www1.hp.com/java/download/unix/1.4.1/index.html . You can check the actual installed version by using

# setld -i |grep -i jre

and install the newest version with

# setld -l

Help() { FirstReadManual(urgently); Go_to_it;; }
aliali
Occasional Advisor

Hi Ralf;

Many thanks for your kind reponse.

Would you please tell me where to find information on porting glibc to Digital Unix platform(alpha-dec-osf4)?

Regards

Hilton