Operating System - HP-UX
1753629 Members
5708 Online
108797 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: How to launch a program that requires root privileges while logged on as regular user.

SOLVED
Go to solution
Daniel Simard
Frequent Advisor

How to launch a program that requires root privileges while logged on as regular user.

Hello All,
The program in perticular is /opt2/openv/netbackup/bin/jnbSA which is veritas netbackup datacenter 4.5

I'd like to have regular unix users be able to execute this program but as root. I'm not sure if it has to do with sudo'ing.

All help is appreciated.
Si tu n'as pas ce que tu aimes, aimes ce que tu as.
14 REPLIES 14
Zafar A. Mohammed_1
Trusted Contributor

Re: How to launch a program that requires root privileges while logged on as regular user.

Yes, it comes under sudo. If the root give privileges to normal user to execute then it can be possible.

Thanks
Zafar
Zafar A. Mohammed_1
Trusted Contributor

Even sudo alias also. Check this link also might be helpful.

http://forums.itrc.hp.com/cm/QuestionAnswer/1,,0x6b1b9607df6ed711abdc0090277a778c,00.html

Thanks
Zafar
Daniel Simard
Frequent Advisor
Solution

Do you have to install the "SUDO" program on the unix system ? Cause I'm looking on my hp-ux 11i server and I can't find anything on sudo

man sudo
man sudoers
find / -name "sudo*"
vi /etc/sudoers
man -k sudo

???
Si tu n'as pas ce que tu aimes, aimes ce que tu as.
Tom Danzig
Honored Contributor

While not the best solution securitywise, you could make the command SUID root via:

chmod 4755 /opt2/openv/netbackup/bin/jnbSA

Your choice. This is the easiest (if not the most secure) solution.
Donny Jekels
Respected Contributor

we use sudo 1.6.6

http://www.courtesan.com/sudo/

peace
Donny
"Vision, is the art of seeing the invisible"
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

Zafar A. Mohammed_1
Trusted Contributor

Yes, you have to install sudo and you can do from the above link. As Tom mentioned you can acheive without sudo also. I'll try first without sudo and then go for sudo.

Thanks
Zafar
Tim Sanko
Trusted Contributor

This is an easy one.

The command sudo is usefull after installed. When faced with T3 broken up among 3000 people (slow....) I would set the suid bit. Some people have called this a sticky bit, but that is not accurate.

chmod 4755 ./myscript

When a user uses this script they have root id privilidge.

That is good for certain users. bad if more than a select group of users get to use the copmmand as root.

Solution protect these enhanced commands by tightening group permissions... We can't let users think we're
dispensable.
John Meissner
Esteemed Contributor

our company uses 2 products to do this type of thing. HP's ServiceControl Manager (SCM) is very good at this. It can be done via command line (which will let you put commands into scripts) or via GUI. SCM can be found at:
https://payment.ecommerce.hp.com/cgi-bin/swdepot_parser.cgi/cgi/try.pl?productNumber=B8339BA3.0&date=

another product we use is sudo. We're in the testing phase to see if we're going to keep this product though
All paths lead to destiny