Operating System - HP-UX
1752797 Members
5587 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: How to make DS2100 work with D-class or R-class?

Raghunandhan Srinivasan
Frequent Advisor

How to make DS2100 work with D-class or R-class?

Hi
I have a HP 9000/820/D280 system which has a SE SCSI card. We bought a DS 2100 (part number A5675A) recently and sent this to Atlanta where the system was located. The HP UX sysadmin reported that the "array was not picked up by the system at all". I would like to know
1) if this D-class server will ever work with a DS2100.?
2) If not, do I need to change my server or buy a specific card to make it work?.
3) Has anyone got a DS2100 to work with the model that we have.?
Will appreciate any pointers. Thx for your time.
Raghu
29 REPLIES 29
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

You need to look at the DS2100 and see what type of SCSI interface it has and then get the appropriate SCSI Card for the D280.

Mel Burslan
Honored Contributor

ds2100 is an ultra3 scsi device but both R class and D class are considered to be archaic machines, even though they both have PCI hardware extension chasis, I do not believe any PCI Ultra3 SCSI card will have drivers for those. You may luck out with R class as it is much newer than D280 but I would not get my hopes high on neither.

Here is a quote from the Dec. '01 Configuration Guide:

"The HP Surestore Disk System 2100 is not operating system specific. It is designed to work with any Ultra3 SCSI LVD equipped workstation or server and is backward compatible to slower SCSI LVD interfaces. Please be aware that when the DS2100 is configured for single-ended (SCSI/SE) operation, only one unit with up to four drives may be connected to the SCSI interface."

It would appear that operation with your SE-SCSI bus is possible although you would be much better off with an HVD SCSI controller in your D or R box in turn connected to an HVD/LVD SCSI bus translator. You would be better off still by choosing something other than a D or R-box since your only choices with these do not include LVD SCSI.

Plan C. Forget about the DS2100 and find yourself a Jamaica enclosure (A3312). These JBOD's will accept eith SE or HVD SCSI Disk modules and are available on the used-equipment market.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
Leif Halvarsson_2
Honored Contributor

Hi,

If I remember correct the D and R class servers has a Narrow SE connector. It should be possible to connect a LVD device to that bus (if you can find a 50-68 pin adapter cable) but you are limited to the performance of the NSE bus. It is NOT possible to connect a LVD devise to the HVD bus (unless you use a LVD-HVD bridge).

Leif Halvarsson_2
Honored Contributor

Hi,
Seems as HP has a such device (but rather expensive). I dont know if it is still avialable:
http://h30094.www3.hp.com/product.asp?sku=1892520&jumpid=ex_2910_quigosmb/ink/2756

Another source:

http://www.disuk.com/site/html/converters/rt-lvd-hvd.html
Raghunandhan Srinivasan
Frequent Advisor

Thx for all your responses.
As I am running short of time, I plan to buy the convertor.
has anyone got this to work with this converter. Any gotchas?
Raghu
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

The HVD/LVD SCSI bus convertor will only help you if you have at least one HVD controller in your D-box. If all you have is an SE-SCSI controller there is not point in buying one.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
Ted Buis
Honored Contributor

If I remember correctly, the only HSC based SCSI card was HVD (FWD) SCSI which will not work with SE or specifically the DS2100 at all. The was a SE SCSI card but it was EISA, and I think support for EISA was dropped, so I don't think you have any drivers for the SE card in the D280. It would certainly be an unsupported configuration with any converter.
Mom 6
Raghunandhan Srinivasan
Frequent Advisor

Thx, I have decided to return the DS 2100. What JBOD can work with this server.
Raghu