Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to move PV from server to another server

Mousa55
Super Advisor

How to move PV from server to another server

Hi All,

I want to move one or more a new physical disk from server to another server and all the disk is not created by pvcreate command and is not included to any volume group and it is a different size. how I can do it that only moving the free disk from server to another.
my server is rp8420 (11.11)
and I can't remove it from a SAN because I don't know where is it in a specific.

ThanksThanks & kind Regards
3 REPLIES
sujit kumar singh
Honored Contributor

Re: How to move PV from server to another server

hi

if the disks are not being used then ask the storage person to deassign the disks from this server after identifying and then reassign to the other server.

I hope that as you have not pvcreate on these disks nor any vg is created using these disks so these disks are not bein used by the current system.

A comparison of
#ioscan -fnCdisk
#strings /etc/lvmtab
or

A look at the VG Conf files at /etc/lvmconf/*.conf might give you idea that waht are the disks that are nit being used by any VG and are free

#vgcfgrestore -l -n /dev/vgXX

gives you the idea of what and all disks are the part of that VG, even if the VG is deactivated.

so your tools for identifying such disks are ioscan, strings /etc/lvmtab and if required, vgcfgrestore -l -n /dev/vgXX
regards
sujit
Mousa55
Super Advisor

Hi All,

I don't know where it is this disk in a SAN because the Different name between Unix server and SAN storage and this disk it is created From a long time

thanks
sujit kumar singh
Honored Contributor

hi

you can take help of the storage team / and or take help of any documentation if preserved earlier
regards
sujit