cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to nfs mount from Linux to HP-UX

frederick hannah
Super Advisor

How to nfs mount from Linux to HP-UX

I am attempting nfs mount an iso file from a Redhat Nfs server to an HP-UX machine. No matter the syntax used, I keep getting "permission denied" on the HP-UX server. Can anyone help?
12 REPLIES
djoshi
Frequent Advisor

Re: How to nfs mount from Linux to HP-UX

Few things...

let us know the redhat and Hp-ux version.

can u please sent the output of /etc/exports?

Make sure to Check exportfs -a and check the nfs services on Redhat.

On HP-UX.... try whether you are able to see all nfs shares like.

showmount -e

also make sure that port mapping services should be running on HP-UX.

Check and let us know.

Check and let us know.
Horia Chirculescu
Honored Contributor

Check the linux NFS server first. Try to mount the exported directory (it must be declared in /etc/exports - see man exports for assigning rights) on the same server

mkdir /mnt/temporary_used

mount localhost:/path_to_exported_directory /mnt/temporary_used

Best regards,
Horia.

Best regards from Romania,
Horia.
Elmar P. Kolkman
Honored Contributor

You cannot NFS mount a file, only a directory.

What you need to do is:
- mount the iso file on the Linux box
- export that on the Linux box to the HP box
- nfs-mount it on the HP box.

Of course, for this you need to make sure the NFS server processes are running on the linux environment.

Simple way to check is running "# /usr/sbin/showmount -e " on the HP. It will show all exported filesystems.
Every problem has at least one solution. Only some solutions are harder to find.
frederick hannah
Super Advisor

I am able to mount the directory containing the *iso file. How can I "read" the information on the file? I want to kick off executables on *iso file.
Horia Chirculescu
Honored Contributor

>I am able to mount the directory containing the *iso file. How can I "read" the information on the file? I want to kick off executables on *iso file.

This is not an easy task to do on HP-UX. If you have a linux system near by, you could mount the file like this:

mkdir /mnt/test
mount -o loop -t iso9660 file.iso /mnt/test

Then you could export the test directory to your HP-UX system.

Best regards,
Horia.
Horia.
Horia Chirculescu
Honored Contributor

... In linux, in order to mount an ISO file, you must have in your kernel:

a) Loopback device support - as a loadable module.

b) ISO 9660 CDROM file system support

(A rebuild of the kernel can be performed in order to add those facilities in the current kernel)

Of course, for kernel rebuild you would need the development package and the kernel source...

Best regards,
Horia.
Horia.
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

On 11.31 you can easily mount local ISO files.
frederick hannah
Super Advisor

I apologize for not explaining myself adequately. I mount the iso file from my Linux server to my HPUX server as /mnt, and I can see the file, but the executables, etc on the file I cant access.
Horia Chirculescu
Honored Contributor

>I mount the iso file from my Linux server to my HPUX server as /mnt, and I can see the file, but the executables, etc on the file I cant access.

You are mounting the directory that contain the ISO file on HP-UX under /mnt or you are mounting the ISO file with "mount ..." on linux to some local directory and that directory you export to HP-UX and NFS mount it under /mnt on the HP-UX server?

The last situation explained above should work.

About executables being inaccessible : Some executables can not run "off the shelf". Can depend on some libraries which must be installed correctly on the system where the executable is intended to run.

Best regards,
Horia.
Horia.
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>Horia: Can depend on some libraries which must be installed correctly on the system where the executable is intended to run.

Then you should get a specific message about not finding a shlib.
Horia Chirculescu
Honored Contributor

>you should get a specific message about not finding a shlib.

Yes, of course. My point is that the only information that Frederick gave to us is:
" the executables, <... on the file> I cant access."

I have seen end users saying "I can not access this file" but in fact the file was not chmod +x or the executable stated clearly the problem (in plain text) but the information was ignored/not retained ("yes it says something there...") by end user.

Best regards,
Horia.
Horia.
Hakki Aydin Ucar
Honored Contributor

Frederick,
you put an ISO on LÄ°nux and via nfs mount you want to execute on HP-UX, I believe you know software is compatible for HP-UX first ?

And when it comes to permission are you able to see you have permission nfs mounted files to execute on HP-UX ?