Operating System - HP-UX
1748228 Members
4424 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

How to output glance data to text files?

Richard Hubbell
Advisor

5 REPLIES 5
Alexander M. Ermes
Honored Contributor

Re: How to output glance data to text files?

Hi there.
If you work glance in char mode, just type the 'p' for print toggle. Then you will be asked, whether you want to print continously or whatsoever. Follow these question and you should get, what you want. I use it on our machines to log performance issues and show them to my boss, if necessary. If you want to extract something from these files, you can use the grep command to create statistics.
Rgds
Alexander M. Ermes
.. and all these memories are going to vanish like tears in the rain! final words from Rutger Hauer in "Blade Runner"
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Richard:

Take a look at the man pages for 'glance', too. In addition to interactively toggling printing to a file, as Alexander notes above, you can start glance with output redirected to a file; you can capture (to a file) only the "adviser" (alert) messages; and you can customize the alarm definition and capture those instances.

...JRF...
Dave Chamberlin
Trusted Contributor

If you use GlancePlus you can edit and save the adviser syntax which allows you to print any of hundreds of metrics as well as your own comments to a file (or a text window). I run gpm >> myfile to save output to a text file and once a week I extract data I want (I don't have measureware - otherwise I would use its data saving/extraction abilities). I have attached a copy of my edited systax file.
Jim Welch
Respected Contributor

As mentioned above, you can use glance adviser to create ascii files. This is useful if you want to generate data with numbers from different glance screens or if you want to filter the output. The current version provides some examples in /opt/perf/examples/adviser and documents Adviser in /opt/perf/paperdocs/gp/C/adviser.pdf The available metrics are in /opt/perf/paperdocs/gp/C/metrics.pdf
If you see a number in glance and want to get the metric name and defination, hit the h key (help), then select "Current Screen Metrics", then select the label the number is under (highlight and hit return to select). You can get adviser information in glance also by hitting the h key, and selecting Adviser Information. One thing to remember is that global metrics can be referenced anywhere, but metrics that have multiple instances (like PROC_CPU_TOTAL_UTIL) must be referenced inside the appropriate loop (process loop in this case).
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from Magic - Arthur C. Clarke
Philip P. Hartl
Valued Contributor

I don't recall where I obtained this from; I believe it is an HP document. It provides a good discussion of using glance metrics to extract stats not available from the scope collector.
Don't take life so seriously; nobody gets out alive.