Operating System - HP-UX
1751712 Members
5256 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: How to start the NFS server on HP-UX 11.31 at start up (boot up) automatically

SOLVED
Go to solution
senthil_kumar_2
Regular Advisor

Re: How to start the NFS server on HP-UX 11.31 at start up (boot up) automatically

Hi Steven,

I tried following:

smh --> Networking and Communications --> Network Services Configuration ---> Networked File Systems --> Automounted Remote File Systems

but it gives the below error:

Command Unsuccessful
press enter Key to continue
Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor

> [...] --> Automounted Remote File Systems

And then what? "Run"? Around here, it says:

Run Command /usr/sam/lbin/samx -C -s nfs_client /usr/sam/lib/C/nfs.ui

Try that command from a shell?

In SMH, is the "Display" setting correct?
On my system, it seems always to point to the
server itself, even when I had DISPLAY set to
some other system when I ran SMH.

Anything under the SMH "stderr" tab when the
command is finished?
Dave Olker
HPE Pro

I think Pete is asking the right questions. Rpc.lockd appears to be starting as part of the lockmgr script but when the nfs.client script tries to start it finds rpc.lockd is not running. So the real issue to figure out is why does rpc.lockd not continue running after it's started.

My first question is what version of ONCplus are you running? Issuing the command:

# swlist ONCplus

will tell you the exact version. If you're not running the latest version of ONCplus you can try installing the latest bits available for download from:

https://software.hp.com/portal/swdepot/displayProductInfo.do?productNumber=ONCplus

Once you're running a version of ONCplus that includes debug KLM logging (we added that feature in ONCplus B.11.31.01), I'd recommend you enable debug KLM logging via the command:

# kctune klm_log_level=9

Once you've enabled debug logging, try the following:

# /sbin/init.d/lockmgr stop
# /sbin/init.d/lockmgr start

If it says rpc.lockd started, use the ps command to see if it is still running or if it died:

# ps -ef | grep rpc.lockd

If the daemon died, look for a core file either in /, or in /usr/sbin or in the directory you executed the "lockmgr start" command. I'd then examine any debug log messages from rpc.lockd when it tried to come up. These should be logged to dmesg or to the /var/adm/syslog/syslog.log file.

The entries generated by rpc.lockd and the KLM subsystem will all begin with the string "KLM:"

Hopefully either updating ONCplus or enabling debug KLM logging will help you make some forward progress.

Regards,

Dave
I work for HPE

[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
senthil_kumar_2
Regular Advisor

Hi All,

I am new to HP-UX.

1)I have find that the follwoing services only have been started after system reboot.

1.1)nfs.core:

# ps -ef | grep -i rpcbind
root 1702 1 0 09:03:39 ? 0:00 /usr/sbin/rpcbind

1.2)rpc.statd only has been started from lockmgr but not rpc.lockd:

# ps -ef | grep -i rpc.statd
daemon 1713 1 0 09:03:46 ? 0:00 /usr/sbin/rpc.statd

# ps -ef | grep -i rpc.lockd
(no output)

As per above outpiut the file /sbin/init.d/lockmgr has been called during boot up.
but it has started only "rpc.statd" and not "rpc.lockd".

2)I have used following commands to start manually:

2.1)Stopped nfs.core and lockmgr:

# /sbin/init.d/nfs.core stop
killing rpcbind

# /sbin/init.d/lockmgr stop
killing rpc.statd

(here it is killing only rpc.statd since rpc.lockd is not started.)

2.2)Starting nfs.core, lockmgr and nfs.server:

# /sbin/init.d/nfs.core start
Starting NFS CORE networking

Starting up the rpcbind
/usr/sbin/rpcbind

# /sbin/init.d/lockmgr start
Starting up the Status Monitor daemon
/usr/sbin/rpc.statd
Starting up the lock manager daemon
/usr/sbin/rpc.lockd

Now /rpc.lockd" has been started:

Ex:

# ps -ef | grep -i rpc.lockd
root 1719 1 0 09:03:46 ? 0:00 /usr/sbin/rpc.lockd

2.3)# /sbin/init.d/nfs.server start
Starting NFS SERVER subsystem

Reading in /etc/dfs/dfstab
Starting up the mount daemon
/usr/sbin/rpc.mountd
Starting up the NFS server daemon
/usr/sbin/nfsd
Starting up nfsmapid daemon
/usr/sbin/nfsmapid

Now "nfs.server" is starting successfully.

my understanding is:

1) There is no issues with file "/sbin/init.d/lockmgr", since it is starting "rpc.statd" and "rpc.lockd" successfully while trying manual.

2) There might be issues with file "/sbin/init.d/nfs.core" or while starting this file at boot up,
since i have tried to restart (stop and start) the "/sbin/init.d/lockmgr" with out restarting (stop and start) nfs.core.
That time also the "rpc.lockd" is not started.

But when i restarted (stop and start) the "/sbin/init.d/lockmgr" after restarting (stop and start) nfs.core. now the "rpc.lockd" is started successfully.

So i believe that there may be issues while starting nfs.core at boot up.

And i believe there is no issues with /etc/rc.config.d/nfsconf since it starting the "lockmgr" at boot up.

Pls help me to resolve this since i am facing this issue for all my new hp-ux 11.31 running on integrity VM.

I have attached my "/sbin/init.d/nfs.core" and "lockmgr"
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

And what about all the diagnostics that Dave Olker suggested? Did you run any of those?

Trust me, Dave is the #1 source for networking wisdom. You would be very wise to take his words as gospel and follow his suggestions explicitly.

Pete

Pete
sujit kumar singh
Honored Contributor

hi

what does this file /etc/default/nfs contain on the system.

regards
sujit
sujit kumar singh
Honored Contributor

hi also

on the NFS server can you please run the following commnd and give the O/p

/sbin/init.d/nfs.client start
/sbin/init.d/nfs.client stop

to see what NFS services are satrtted and stopped due to this.

also in the server in /etc/rc.config.d/nfsconf try using
NFS_CLIENT=1

regards
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi (again):

I had asked, "did you make a backup of '/etc/rc.config.d/nfsconf' when you changed its settings? If so, did you retain that backup copy in '/etc/rc.config.d'?"

I can't see where you responded to this question. Please answer this.

Regards!

...JRF...
senthil_kumar_2
Regular Advisor

Hi All,

I am finding below mentioned errors in /var/adm/syslog/syslog.log, this logs are being created while starting "lockmgr" with out stopping "nfs.core" immediately after reboot.

--------------------------------------------
Dec 21 11:33:11 emdlaghpvm04 /usr/sbin/rpc.lockd[1735]: Cannot get address for transport udp host \1 service lockd
Dec 21 11:33:11 emdlaghpvm04 /usr/sbin/rpc.lockd[1735]: Cannot establish NLM service over /dev/udp: transport setup problem.
Dec 21 11:33:11 emdlaghpvm04 /usr/sbin/rpc.lockd[1735]: Cannot get address for transport tcp host \1 service lockd
Dec 21 11:33:11 emdlaghpvm04 /usr/sbin/rpc.lockd[1735]: Cannot establish NLM service over /dev/tcp: transport setup problem.
Dec 21 11:33:11 emdlaghpvm04 /usr/sbin/rpc.lockd[1735]: Could not start NLM service for any protocol. Exiting.
Dec 21 11:33:32 emdlaghpvm04 /usr/sbin/rpc.lockd[1765]: Cannot get address for transport udp host \1 service lockd
Dec 21 11:33:32 emdlaghpvm04 /usr/sbin/rpc.lockd[1765]: Cannot establish NLM service over /dev/udp: transport setup problem.
Dec 21 11:33:32 emdlaghpvm04 /usr/sbin/rpc.lockd[1765]: Cannot get address for transport tcp host \1 service lockd
Dec 21 11:33:32 emdlaghpvm04 /usr/sbin/rpc.lockd[1765]: Cannot establish NLM service over /dev/tcp: transport setup problem.
Dec 21 11:33:32 emdlaghpvm04 /usr/sbin/rpc.lockd[1765]: Could not start NLM service for any protocol. Exiting.
-------------------------------------------

Hi sujit,

I am getting below error message when starting "nfs.client"

# /sbin/init.d/nfs.client start
Starting NFS CLIENT subsystem

ERROR: rpc.lockd not running. Run "/sbin/init.d/lockmgr start" to start rpc.lockd, exiting

Hi James,

I checked, i did not take any backup of nfsconf.

sujit kumar singh
Honored Contributor

Hi

a template copy of nfsconf can be found at /usr/newconfig/etc/rc.config.d/nfsconf,

you shall need to edit that when using as /etc/rc.config.d/nfsconf

Senthil,

you can add as earlier said to /etc/rc.config.d/nfsconf on the server
NFS_CLIENT=1

also please post the O/p of /etc/default/nfs

regards