New Discussion

How to start

SOLVED
Go to solution
rustam_2
Super Advisor

How to start

Hi All.
I'm a newbie in HP-UX. In few months we'll get new HP servers, where have been installed HP-UX 11i v3. I'm a windows servers admin, that's why never used *nix's OS. I wanna have some experience before we’ll get our new HP servers. is it available to download this version of HP-UX, install my PC (by using Virtual OS) and learn. are there any e-books for beginners?

P.S. on those HP servers, i'm gonna install and use database-oracle 10g r2.
19 REPLIES 19
Stephan.
Honored Contributor

Re: How to start

Hi,
without any *nix experience you will have a lot to learn. If you have a lot of command line know how in windows this could help a little bit.

>>is it available to download this version of HP-UX, install my PC (by using Virtual OS)
You can install hp-ux only on hp 9000 Hardware, which means PA-RISC or Itanium, as far as i know there is no wirtulization software which emulates this.

Good books (my personal favor's, just google for the Title):
- Unix in a Nutshell
- Unix Power Tools
- Learning Perl
- HP Professional Series (this are several books as training for the certification)

hth
Michal Kapalka (mikap)
Honored Contributor

hi,

the HP-UX could be installed only on PA-RiSC or Itanium CPU.

very good documentation is on

docs.hp.com

or read this book :

Prentice Hall HP-UX CSE Official Study Guide and Desk Reference

is older but i think the one from best, or

Software Recovery Book, on this forum you will find lot of links to his book.

mikap

Ganesan R
Honored Contributor

Hi,

First of all, HP-UX will not run on x86 hardware. You need either PA-RISC or Itanium servers from HP to install and HP_UX is not available to download. You have to buy from HP.

You can learn HP-UX from here.

http://docs.hp.com/en/oshpux11iv3.html#System%20Administration
Best wishes,

Ganesh.
rustam_2
Super Advisor

thanks a lot for all of you.
I got, and download some e-books. I will read them. I think in few weeks will come back with new question for making some details more clear.
rustam_2
Super Advisor

I've come back.
This week i'm gonna install Oracle 10g Enterprise Edition on HP-UX 11i. I think before installing Database, should i install all patches for OS?

P.S. I got mail - 'September 2009 HP-UX Software Updates'. + in that mail i have Support Account and Service Agreement ID. Should i register my support account or this account is enough.
Md. Farhan A Azam
Trusted Contributor

Hi,

First, You have not assigned any points to the replies...So plz go ahedafd and assign the pints who has given you the information/resolution.

To assign the point....
http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/bizsupport/questionanswer.do?threadId=1088447

And would like to suggest you to open new thread for any new query...

Yes..you can install the patches, but it is better to check/verify patch compatibilty from DB/Apps guys...as Apps guys are having lots of problem with new patches as i've seen.

If you have SAID, it means you can log a case with HP for any type of problem.

thnx...farhan
Hakki Aydin Ucar
Honored Contributor

As far as I got it correctly, you need a virtualization to acces from your PC to HP-UX box OR virtual HP-UX environment.

With this in mind ,question must be which virtualization tool supports HP-UX ? Since HP-UX has totaly different structure in CPU hardware and environment , most virtualized OS virtualaziton box cannot be used for HP-UX boxes.
But HP has own solutions like this:

http://h20338.www2.hp.com/hpux11i/cache/591336-0-0-0-121.html
rustam_2
Super Advisor

Thanks Farhan A Azam,Hakki Aydin.
Farhan, i got what you meant. For now i will not install any patches, coz i have to learn many things in this OS.
Haki Aydin, i dont know why i should install Virtualiz?
as i said, i read "HP-UX 11i system administration handbook and toolkit", and there i found that i can work with SAM or GNOME. Is it true? Can i? i'm still Windows Administrator, that's why a bit difficult to turn *nix system. Could you help?
Md. Farhan A Azam
Trusted Contributor

Hi Rustam,

Yes in HP-UX, you can go with command mode as well as SAM.

To Start SAM...

#sam
It will ask to press "Enter", that time hit the the "Enter". SAM is open you will get SAM menu ,now can do what you want.

Please assign the points.

thnx...farhan