1752754 Members
5398 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

How to verify server status after maintenance

Pat Obrien_1
Regular Advisor

How to verify server status after maintenance

I have seen a few issues lately with hpux 11.11 servers doing unusual things after a maintenance reboot. There seems to be several categories like nfs mounts or exports broken, user issues loggin in, rc scripts not running, or whole rc states not invoked. I am looking to nail down a complete list others use like review dmesg, review rc.log, check local and nfs mounts, and login over network and not console, check applications, and review maintenance items behave as planned. What stupid obvious ones you you 'all think I missed.
2 REPLIES 2
Coolmar
Esteemed Contributor

Re: How to verify server status after maintenance

Hi Pat,

When we reboot a server there are the normal things we checked - all that you mentioned as well as the syslog, interfaces, etc. However, much of it is proprietary to your system - like NFS mounts, how to ensure your apps are up and running, etc.
I write a script that runs through the normal things and if any abnormalities (which you would dictate in your script) are found you are alerted. As these issues come up - like you said that sometimes your NFS is broken - add it to the script. So your script will be an ever-evolving script, but at least it is all done for you each time rather than you trying to remember what you should be checking.

HTH,
S
Pat Obrien_1
Regular Advisor

Re: How to verify server status after maintenance

thanks for the response, and other than syslog which I do, and need to script I think I have it.
pmob