New Discussion юеВ

I need to find out all the latest patches on my Linux server

SOLVED
Go to solution
Jorge Cocomess
Super Advisor

I need to find out all the latest patches on my Linux server

Greetings,

I need to know what would be the command to use to find out what are some of the patches I've loaded into the Linux server? I am currently running RHAS 2.1 server.

Thank you in advance.

Jorge
3 REPLIES 3
Court Campbell
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: I need to find out all the latest patches on my Linux server

# rpm -qa

this should list all installed rpms.
"The difference between me and you? I will read the man page." and "Respect the hat." and "You could just do a search on ITRC, you don't need to start a thread on a topic that's been answered 100 times already." Oh, and "What. no points???"
Stuart Browne
Honored Contributor

If you've set up 'up2date' correctly, you can also use 'up2date -l' to list the patches that are available to the server.

Also, if you have a Red Hat Network login for the server, you can log into their service via a web browser ( https://rhn.redhat.com ), then click on the associated server under Systems.
One long-haired git at your service...
dirk dierickx
Honored Contributor

in linux there are not really 'patches' as you would have in hpux/solaris/windows, but it's rather updates of packages.

meaning, there is not really a command that will show you 'just patches', because each 'patch' commes as a complete new updated package.

you can do it as followed. after install of the system is finished you dump your current rpm database for ex. rpm -qa > rpm.0.list

next time you run - rpm -qa > rpm.1.list

then you can 'diff' between the 2 files to find out the differences.